garmin 720s

Island Fish Lifter

anyone have one of these? My lowrance finally packed it in, this is what I will be installing now.
Loved my Lowrance, sad to see it go.

i like the funtions of mine but the new mapping is horrible,,,looks nothing like traditional charts..

i like the funtions of mine but the new mapping is horrible,,,looks nothing like traditional charts..

Which mapping feature are you referring to, TW? I find the navigation and fishing charts look exactly like traditional charts. I agree the "mariner's eye" view is non traditional - but interesting never-the-less.

g2 vision,,, i cannot define the areas very well at all,, turtle head looks different, rats nose, whale tale, south west corner, all the usual descriptions of the areas look really different...

I'm only a few days into the mission with my 720s as well. It does take some getting used to. I have the manual handy at all times! One piece of advice is to keep one of those microfibre cloths close by - the touch screen can get pretty grotty after awhile and those cloths do a great job.

Just got back from Nootka and found to 3D Fish Eye view really belpful with fishing Wash Rock. Gets a little tricky there with shallow water and reefs.

is there way to put boundary lines on to mark out areas? was trying to do it on mine could not figure it out. i can put tracks on but not mark out areas.say you want to mark out a closed area.

I marked out boundries on my charts off-shore at Nootka using "tools" on Garmins "Homeport" software which is available from the Garmin website at $ 30. You simple put you SD card into to your pc at home fire up the "Homeport" software and Bobs your uncle. "Homeport" allows you to lay down your routes, draw lines, add names to routes, name specific destinations, mark your fav honey holes etc. Its pretty easy to use.

g2 vision,,, i cannot define the areas very well at all,, turtle head looks different, rats nose, whale tale, south west corner, all the usual descriptions of the areas look really different...

We had to go by lat/long off the paper chart at Big Bank on a friend's new boat with new Garmin stuff. I couldn't match anything on the screen with the papr chart. Is there a setting that makes it look like the old charts, or can one set the depth of the lines 50/60/70 metres to match the charts? We'll have to play with it some more before leaving the dock this weekend. Or I'll bring my handheld with all the spots marked already.

A buddy just installed a brand new Garming chartplotter / sounder / radar unit. He also has the G2 chip and nothing looks the way it used to - like TW - we could not recognize the turtle head or any other common spots on the banks out of Ukee. I figure it has got to be something with settings, but we could not figure it out.

Back