Gabriola island

9footer

hey I am going to be on gabriola from aug 11 to 14 have access to a 24 trophy was just wondering what the fishing is like around that time usually thanks for any tips

hey I am going to be on gabriola from aug 11 to 14 have access to a 24 trophy was just wondering what the fishing is like around that time usually thanks for any tips

Slow for Chinook.

Fish DEEP if you're looking for feeders... as in 150-200.

If you want to try for mature chinook, fish as you normally would around Vancouver with Anchovies behind Flashers from 30-85 feet on the riggers. Offshore is fine too as you will be intercepting late Columbia and Fraser bound Chinooks. You may find a couple.

In the early 90's I recall a day trip I made over there with Dad in late July. We bagged a 27, 32 and 24 in medium Herring on 7' leaders behind Flashers...we were within 500' of the Rock starting to troll home.

I imagine there will be a glut of Humpies too. In the mid-nineties I recall being half way between Active Pass and Sandheads out in the middle with freighters going past literally shakin off Pinks on every lure we had down.

Slow for Chinook.

Fish DEEP if you're looking for feeders... as in 150-200.

If you want to try for mature chinook, fish as you normally would around Vancouver with Anchovies behind Flashers from 30-85 feet on the riggers. Offshore is fine too as you will be intercepting late Columbia and Fraser bound Chinooks. You may find a couple.

In the early 90's I recall a day trip I made over there with Dad in late July. We bagged a 27, 32 and 24 in medium Herring on 7' leaders behind Flashers...we were within 500' of the Rock starting to troll home.

I imagine there will be a glut of Humpies too. In the mid-nineties I recall being half way between Active Pass and Sandheads out in the middle with freighters going past literally shakin off Pinks on every lure we had down.
cheers thanks for the reply

cheers thanks for the reply

Bait will be your best lure for Chinooks...then again a couple of Hoochies should get the job done. Hoochies have excellent action for migrating Chinook looking to grab a meal while on the move.

Back