Furuno Surprise Update

Bill 310

Crew Member
When we built our boat we had a Furuno NavNet TZTL12F installed and the Electronics Installer provided a Lorance Point 1 GPS Receiver

Starting in January I noticed that for some reason the Tides seemed off on our Furuno NavNet TZTL12F.

How did I discover this ... well the first sign was that the Tides on my screen never matched the ramp angle at our Marina

I have kept the software up to date and was puzzled about what was going on.

Then I noticed that for some reason the date on my NavNet was showing January 1, 2014. I contacted Furuno's Online Customer Service and they told me to go the the Furuno Forums to get an answer. There were questions on this subject but no answers,

Back story

Last year when we had some electronics issues and a local Marine electonics firm came out to fix things, the tech told me that I had bought an old system and that the NavNet and the Furuno Radar were non compatible.

I thought that this was BS and called Furuno in Camas,WA. They were great so I took the two units off the boat and drove down to Furuno where I got a tour of their facility (Think 4 Burnaby Costcos in size) and they bench tested the units and they were 100% in spec.

The local firm who sent out the Tech made good, reversed the charges. and fixed things for me.

While at Furuno I got to meet some folks (everyone was really nice there) so when we were on the boat on our holiday I called Furuno and explained the problem .

So.... Furuno had done major update to the way their navionics received data and effective 1/12024 in order to be up to date we needed to buy a new Furuno antenna and things would work again.

Translation. If you don't have the new Antenna you will live forever on January 1st, 2014 with outdated charts/aids to navigation / etc.

Think of this as the Aqautic version of Groundhog day . Apparently, the information on this update has not been widely shared by Furuno. (sarcasm switch fuuly engaged) A few dealers I have spoken to were not aware of this change.

The cost of the new antenna.

We bought the Furuno GPS 330B Antenna ($697.43) and had it sent to Nanaimo and through the common sense concept of Nema 2000 we were hooked up in under an hour.

It was quite shocking to see all of the additional information our unit now provides via this antenna update.

Note: I am giving away the Lowrance Point-1 GPS Antenna for the cost of shipping in the Flea Market

1722531620445.png

Attachments

• 1722531568770.png
    1722531568770.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 1722531575423.png
    1722531575423.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 2
Back