Fugly boat goes HDS5X

jeffywestcoast

Well after a constant nonstop battle with the voices in my head I went in to chandler today n picked up a new HDS5X stand alone sounder. while I know it isn't the best im sure it will work a little better then my previous having a 500 watt ducer.. Big thanks to Denise at Chandler I should be marking fish by morning :cool:009.jpg013.jpg

Hey I got the same sounder,but with a airmar p66 transducer, did harbour chandler give you any clues on optimal setting for that unit?

yup I was getting some hints on the way out the , no fish id, sensitivity 87 % and no auto sensitivity. what is the difference between the airmar p66 ducer and the 50/200 hz one that I got ??. more then anything I bought it cause im sick of loosing bottom and wanted a better look at them baitballs :p. also want a sonic hub down the road to network in some tunes.

Hey Jeffy,
heres a great set-up tutorial from salt patrol,
you may not use all his tips but for the most part will put you in the zone
Tim
http://vimeo.com/15426536

I believe the little stock out of the box ducer is 300 watts,
It'll work fine for you jeffy in comparison to what you have,
you will love it,
I have a M260 1kw and still also have the transom mounted small ducer as well in 83/200
I use both via a switch

Yeah keep me posted on that Jeff I have to buy all new electronics sounder/GPS chart plotter for the boat I just got... I have a hummingbird color hd, but I personally like the Lowrance better...

Still debating whether I get one GPS combo or two separate displays that I have on my old boat...

Yeah that's what I did I had a elite 5M and then a got separate sounder... I am just looking at the Elite 7M right now.. and buying a separate sounder again..

Mike at hc said the p66 was slightly better the 50/200 and a lot better the. The smaller 83/200

Not sure what I am doing wrong but with auto sensitivity off I cant set it passed 55-60 on sensitivity or it seems to plug up the screen, any idea's??

what type of water do you have it set up for?
I leave mine in general use and use the very first pallete
always have sensitivity up to 85%+
surface clarity set to low and noise rejection set to low,
I notice yesterday tho there was a algae bloom starting up over that way yesterday so reduced sensitivity may be the norm

Last edited by a moderator:
Also if you haven't already shut off your other unit, could be cross talking if on the same freq

sure I have it set to slow trolling,i use the first palette also and have both the surface clarity and noise rejection set too low. maybe I have to set the setting to general use.. will give it a go soon n see if that helps. thanks for the tips.

Back