Fuel Stabilizer - how well does it work?

• Thread starter Thread starter tortuga
  • Start date Start date
T

tortuga

Is it better to store your boat with the tank empty
or full of gas with stabilizer added?

I've always tried to run my tank down before winterizing and in the spring I add about a cup of methyl hydrate to evaporate any condensation before filling up with new gas.

I always store full and use my boat year round. There is less area for condensation to move in and since most tanks are aluminum any moisture mixes with sulphurs from the fuel and corrodes the surfaces of the tank. Adding methyl does help as it bonds to water molecules.

Full tank of fuel. Add stabilizer as per instructions.. youll be tempted to add more than it calls for, dont. Shake your boat to stir up mix then run it until youre sure stabilized fuel is through your system. If you have a racor, make sure you give it adequate run time as that kind of filter holds a fair amount of fuel.
Dave.

Good question. I've always been told, and believed, that it's best to store the boat with the gas tank topped off as it helps prevents water condensation from developing. Right or wrong, I also have been using a gas stabilizer additive during the winter. I have heard good reviews about Startron Gas Treatment http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6174&familyName=StarTron+Gasoline+Engine+Fuel+Treatment so that's what I've been using. Hard to say if it's working or not or whether I'm just spending money on something I don't need (like I haven't done that before).

I use it in every thing from chainsaw to quad to boat even my truck because the gas now goes skunky very quick works really good on the chainsaw as it is (mixed gas) wont gum up the carbs ever since I have been using it , it doesnt happen so i will say it works great I used the "racor" brand where 1 oz i think treats 5 gallons. awsome product

Wolf

Back