Freedive for crabs in Prince Rupert

PASY

Hey !
I'm from QC, we just crossed Canada to Prince Rupert! I had this dream of freediving for crabs ☺️. It's not easy to just find a spot to get into the water in the area... I found this small rest area West of the 16 in Wainwright Bay. There's definitely crabs there, I grabbed one by hand! I immediately took my Tidal license. Unfortunately after some research, this area (West of 16) seems to be closed for crabbing... Do you know another place where I could go get some crabs from shore ? Is It OK if I just go on the East side of the 16 in Miller Bay ? Do you have any other spots you think I should look at, everything seems to be own by CN or is private Land. I'm just here for a couple of days I would really appreciate any suggestion ! Thanks a lot for your help !

Download the fishing bc app it will help pin point where you are at and openings.

I am sure someone will chime in from the area. Ask around town locals will know

Download the fishing bc app it will help pin point where you are at and openings.

I am sure someone will chime in from the area. Ask around town locals will know
Thanks a lot for your response !!!
This app is great !

I already asked some locals, they couldn't point out where I could just take a dip in the ocean... Maybe I asked the wrong persons... I continue my research !

@bryce might be able to point you in the right direction.
I don’t know anywhere it would be possible without a boat the Prince Rupert side of the harbour is very deep right close to shore! If you can find your way to digby or to metlakatla some of the coves there should have crabs and low tide is early afternoon right now

Hey !
I'm from QC, we just crossed Canada to Prince Rupert! I had this dream of freediving for crabs ☺️. It's not easy to just find a spot to get into the water in the area... I found this small rest area West of the 16 in Wainwright Bay. There's definitely crabs there, I grabbed one by hand! I immediately took my Tidal license. Unfortunately after some research, this area (West of 16) seems to be closed for crabbing... Do you know another place where I could go get some crabs from shore ? Is It OK if I just go on the East side of the 16 in Miller Bay ? Do you have any other spots you think I should look at, everything seems to be own by CN or is private Land. I'm just here for a couple of days I would really appreciate any suggestion ! Thanks a lot for your help !
You should be able to find someone in this group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/384721901716706

Good luck

If you don't mind going a little further west, north beach on Haida Gwaii is a great spot. People catch dungeness crabs there with dip nets walking in the surf on very low tides.

Back