Fraser River

• Thread starter Thread starter freakonaleash
  • Start date Start date
F

freakonaleash

Hey there, Im new to this forum. Due to a broken wrist (well, tomorrow cast is off) I have recently started fishing. I started out fishing in the alouette river, but due to a lack of "bigger" fish (mostly bullheads) I have started fishing in the fraser river. I was given a 2.7m Omni rod with a daiwa 4000c reel. The whole setup is pretty ancient, but I think it's problably more tackle setup/fisherman skill that matters,not the rod. So I have a few questions that I need answered.

1. At which times do the different types of fish run ? (ex. rainbow trout... coho...sockeye..etc.)

2. Which tackle setup is appropriate for trout/salmon fishing. As in what works well ? Currently I run a bar rig with either a dew worm (trout) or a bar rig with pink wool (salmon). So yah, recommended setups for trout and salmon fishing ?

3. Currently I run 20 pound test, is that sufficient, overdoing it, or not enough ?

It is to my understanding that at the moment not much is running in the river (port mann bridge area), this would explain why today with dew worms i only caught a small 1 pound trout in a few hours ?

Thanks so much everyone, Currently I am inexperienced but I hope to move up in the ranks to a respectable fisherman.

Hi Freak, Avid river fisherman here. Fraser runs are as follows
{usually}. Big red springs June July, Sockeye just starting to show up now but heard of no openings yet. keep checking local sports shops, or online. Lucky if we get a weeks opening.Sockeye usually best run every fourth year. Pinks next, on the odd numbered years. Like this year. Coho and chum always seem to be in the rivers together and last, usually Oct is best. Then steelhead for winter
{need special tag for them.} Remember below Mission bridge is salt water license, above or in the rivers like Stave, fresh water license with salmon tag. Have fun as the fishing has just begun.

Back