foul hook definition

jackfish

The context is salmon trolling. I use a single barless hook, exclusively.
What does it mean to be 'foul hooked'? From my searches, that seems to be considered hooked from the body, or even outside the gills.
What about from the mouth, but through the eye or skull/brain?

My question is what we are supposed to do with a fish caught inside the mouth, but is sure to die or already dead.
already dead: I've had a small salmon on the line, and didn't know. Dragged the poor thing for maybe 15 minutes (my rough max time trolling before checking the line), and it was completely unresponsive when I unhooked it. Tried to revive, but no good. I released as it was undersized chinook.

Also have hooked salmon through the eye. I really doubt they would survive. But released anyway.

So my question is when are we better off (legally) retaining a dead/dying/foul hooked salmon?

I get that if we say retain a fish that is clearly going to die, we will have some dishonest folks lying and keeping. But from most of the fisherman I've spoken too, they all follow the regs even if they think they don't make sense. Not just for the penalties, but to represent a society that actually wants a healthy fishery so we subject ourselves to the rules.

For what its worth, i'm only fishing during retention periods and targeting retention species. Not sport fishing (catch and release).

I believe foul hooked salmon my be legally kept, if within the size limit. It's intentional foul hooking that's illegal. Here is the DFO regulation:

• It is illegal to wilfully foul hook a salmon. If you accidentally foul hook a salmon in the ocean, you can keep it. If you foul hook a salmon, wilfully or accidentally, in any lake or stream, including the tidal parts of coastal streams, you must release it immediately

I believe foul hooked salmon my be legally kept, if within the size limit. It's intentional foul hooking that's illegal. Here is the DFO regulation:

• It is illegal to wilfully foul hook a salmon. If you accidentally foul hook a salmon in the ocean, you can keep it. If you foul hook a salmon, wilfully or accidentally, in any lake or stream, including the tidal parts of coastal streams, you must release it immediately
So does this mean a wild coho (legal size) may be kept if foul hooked in a hatchery coho-only zone? I can’t see DFO buying the “it was foul hooked so I kept it”, regardless if it was true or not. Such is the state of fisheries these days.

Edit: Sorry I see this topic has been beat to death in another thread.

You also can't keep a foul hooked fish. The hook must be in the fished mouth as if it took your bait. The regs are pretty simple on that.

nothing better than hooking into a 20lb plus chinook, from the deep, in the back!! hang on !!!

The context is salmon trolling. I use a single barless hook, exclusively.
What does it mean to be 'foul hooked'? From my searches, that seems to be considered hooked from the body, or even outside the gills.
What about from the mouth, but through the eye or skull/brain?

My question is what we are supposed to do with a fish caught inside the mouth, but is sure to die or already dead.
already dead: I've had a small salmon on the line, and didn't know. Dragged the poor thing for maybe 15 minutes (my rough max time trolling before checking the line), and it was completely unresponsive when I unhooked it. Tried to revive, but no good. I released as it was undersized chinook.

Also have hooked salmon through the eye. I really doubt they would survive. But released anyway.

So my question is when are we better off (legally) retaining a dead/dying/foul hooked salmon?

I get that if we say retain a fish that is clearly going to die, we will have some dishonest folks lying and keeping. But from most of the fisherman I've spoken too, they all follow the regs even if they think they don't make sense. Not just for the penalties, but to represent a society that actually wants a healthy fishery so we subject ourselves to the rules.

For what its worth, i'm only fishing during retention periods and targeting retention species. Not sport fishing (catch and release).
I think salmon are a lot more resilient than people think they are. Some fisherman seem to love saying every released fish is going to die, do you really know, and even if it dies it will not go to waste .There will be all sorts of creatures benefiting from it. If a fisherman does not want to cause any harm maybe they should stop fishing.

I did read through that other thread entirely, but it didn't answer my question about what to do with a dead/dying salmon hooked in the mouth.

Sounds like the consensus is if it isn't a legal retain (undersized, or not open for retention), let it go and nature will harvest it.

Back