Fly fishing niewbie where to start?

donmicron

Hello all,

I am slowly finishing collecting fly gear and would like to try fly fishing this winter. I don't have any experience with this technique, so I am anticipating catching many logs and tree brunches ;) My rod is #7/8 Wild Water starting combo with small assortment of trout/steelhead flies. Can anybody suggest a good place closer to Victoria city to start(unfortunately, I have no boat, so that limit my choices I guess)?

Thanks in advance!

this is a great site esp for island salt but not much fly talk try flyfishingbc. based out of van but lots of island guys/girls

not many/any rivers in vic. Lakes would be best best for practice or muir creek in sooke or cowichan

With that set up I would try an hit up lakes like Prior or Lookout lake. They are easily accesable and super for learning to cast and fish at the sametime. Try anything olive,black or brown. Small flies seem to work better in those lakes since the average fish is not much bigger then 10". I like to use a full floating line and a 6-8' leader and let it sink and stip it super slow. you will see your floating line twitch when a fish grabs on. Set the hook!

Lookout lake is stocked with broodstock rainbows and ive had days where ive gotten 2-3 fish over 3 pounds. Very exciting when you hook into one of those.

Cheers, KK

PM me for more info.

http://forum.flybc.ca/

That group is also doing a Xmas get together. You should go, and make some fly fishing contacts in your area. They do fish-ins together as well.

Victoria and South Island Christmas Pub Night
December 19 at 7:00pm
4 Mile Pub in Victoria, British Columbia

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice RR.. I would also suggest taking a lesson, you can save yourself alot of fustration. There's a guy in victoria at Windsor park all the time giving casting lessons. Last name Muir i think ?

That's Ian Muirhead. He's a fly casting instructor and apparently a very good one. I have no first hand experience but I've heard many good things and never one negative comment.

Google up his name, there's lots of
Info.

I was taught by my old man when I was very young and I learned his bad habits. I get my share of line out but my technique is far from perfect. I think it's good to get some proper instruction, lessens the learning curve plus in a class environment, you may meet a buddy to fish with.

Thank you very much everybody! Lots of great advises! I'll definitely try to get few lessons, it does make sense!

Back