Floating the Skeena and Tribs

Tcon

Hi Everybody,

This is my first post on this forum. Hopefully somebody out there can help me out!

I am in the process of planning a winter steelheading and spring steelhead/chinook crossover trip in the Terrace area.

Are rivers like the Kalum, Kispiox, Bulkley, Morice, Babine and mainstem skeena ok to float for beginners?
Are there good drop in and pick up spots? I have purchased the backroads mapbook for northern bc and have been trying to do as much research on the web as possible but the information is almost non-existant. I don't want to accidentally end up going down niagra falls or something hahah :p

We currently have FishCat Cougar 8 pontoon boats and our experience is mostly local rivers like the bow and smaller rivers like the Kitimat.
We do plan on getting a guide for a day or two but it would be good to know our options in advance.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best thing you can do is stop at Oscar's in Smithers and ask for information about the river that you plan on floating. The Morice/Bulkley is fairly mellow but I would not recommend floating any of the other rivers you mentioned without hiring a guide or at least going along with someone who has experience. The Babine can be a very dangerous river and there is little to no access if you get into trouble. The Kispiox should be okay depending on which section you float, but it can have sweepers and there is one stretch that has a log jam that must be portaged. The Skeena is better fished from shore or with a motorized craft. I have never fished the Kalum so I can't comment on that particular river.

Hi Everybody,

[mGYpsNpg1bw] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGYpsNpg1bw

Sorry thats all I could think of....:D

Wish I could help and good luck with the trip(on my bucket list)....share some pics if you make it.

In 2001 a professional guide drowned both his parents on the Bulkley in a raft mishap---talk to locals before you float---there is Class III flat-water on some stretches, but Class IV highly sporty water in others, with a nice Class V in the middle (Moricetown)

Babine is for the most past a jet boat deal unless you have a chopper waiting for you at the bottom end of your drift---that's why lodges have it pretty much all sewed up for access

The Kispiox can be tame depending on flows but there's one stretch on the bottom end that eats pontoon boats every year. Saw a guy eat it last year and have to row out with branches instead of oars because he lost both of them when he flipped (a pontoon boat, a river craft I wouldn't touch with a stick or an oar)

Skeena--- mostly Class III but there are a few spots that you'd better know which side of the river to be whether you're on oars or power.

Glen Vowell is one of them

here's a nice mellow stretch of the Bulkley: I'd recommend the line right down the middle (with a quick but forceful prayer to The Dude before dropping off the lip:

IMG_3458.jpg

Wow, thanks for the information. I guess we will head out on foot when we are not with a guide, no sense in risking a disaster.
I will definitely stop in at Oscar's for advice. There is nothing like local expertise.

Thanks,
Dr. Nick :p

Back