Float fishing vs. Drift fishing on the Vedder

Harly Mang

This might sound like a stupid question to some of you, but I primarily fish in the Fraser. I am basically just wondering if there is a difference between "drift fishing" and "float fishing" on the vedder river. I have heard people say both and always wondered if there is a difference. Whenever I go I use pencil lead and adjust my float so it barely touches the bottom, I use a 3 way swivel with about 3 feet of leader line behind the lead with a piece of wool/corkie. What is this called? And what is the different method if there is one?

Same thing. If your weight touches bottom your too deep.

If you have a float attached to your line you're float fishing. If you don't (and you're casting pencil lead or split-shot above your terminal gear), you're drift fishing (also known as bottom bouncing)

If you're casting pencil lead from a boat and free-drifting the boat with the current, you're boondoggling

simple..use a float otherwise you will be chastized as a snagger and causing the float fisherman issues, use any technique you want while not fishing around anyone, its pure roe season until coho are abundant

The BC Federation of Drift Fishers, who are the main lobby group for river angling in BC, consider Drift Fishing as the umbrella term for several techniques. Float fishing is a form of drift fishing, as is side drifting from a boat, bottom bouncing, and the often scorned flossing.

Leader should be 12"-16", put your pencil lead on the main line above your swivel and your gear shouldn't hit bottom, I found these images on google search.

float / drift fishing the Vedder River

This might sound like a stupid question to some of you, but I primarily fish in the Fraser. I am basically just wondering if there is a difference between "drift fishing" and "float fishing" on the vedder river. I have heard people say both and always wondered if there is a difference. Whenever I go I use pencil lead and adjust my float so it barely touches the bottom, I use a 3 way swivel with about 3 feet of leader line behind the lead with a piece of wool/corkie. What is this called? And what is the different method if there is one?

Harly,
Your best success will be float fishing with a leader of 24 inches maximum and set your float so that your bait / lure is fishing mid depth.
You will have better luck fishing shallower than deeper. Right now the water is super low and clear so down size everything.
I would fish with a 8-10lb mainline, 8-6lb leader, smallish float, small weight (split shot), size 1 or 2 hook and a small piece of natural cured roe (no dyes).

Leader should be 12"-16", put your pencil lead on the main line above your swivel and your gear shouldn't hit bottom, I found these images on google search.

While the diagrams are useful in explaining the better way to float fish they are inaccurate with regards to reality.

Given the direction of flow and the fact the float generally moves more quickly in the fast surface current than does the lure because of the friction caused by the bottom contours as the water flows by, the lure shouldn't be shown as being further downcurrent than the float.

How's that for nit-picking?? LOL

Take care.

Back