FishingBC App - use photo to confirm species

Corey_lax

Crew Member
I hadn’t seen this before because I haven’t been fishing since it was introduced. Has anyone tried out this feature of the FishingBC app? You take a photo of your fish and it identifies it for you. I’m curious how well it works.

Attachments

• 2CB30550-461A-4907-B689-DB2B8F7919FA.png
    2CB30550-461A-4907-B689-DB2B8F7919FA.png
    694.8 KB · Views: 58
Here is one I just did of same fish zoomed out vs zoomed in

1609802007932.png1609802029795.png

Attachments

• 8CD628BD-53EE-4012-8CE5-B53E4AB804A5.png
    8CD628BD-53EE-4012-8CE5-B53E4AB804A5.png
    708.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 5D6B9144-E584-434A-A14B-C577DE5B8EA1.png
    5D6B9144-E584-434A-A14B-C577DE5B8EA1.png
    729.1 KB · Views: 12
I guess the app needs a bit of work. But WMY’s fish wasn’t photographed correctly according to the apps requirements. Didn’t show it perfectly horizontal and gums aren’t very visible on the wide angle shot

gums aren’t very visible on the wide angle shot

it’s the same photo

the visibility of the gums is the same in both photos and contains the same amount of pixels. Remember it’s a computer analyzing it not a human

it’s the same photo

the visibility of the gums is the same in both photos and contains the same amount of pixels. Remember it’s a computer analyzing it not a human
Yeah I know. I guess it’s a step in the right direction though. I tried with a few of my photos and it was correct every time.

I can see where this is headed. Blame it on the app. ‘But officer, the app told me it was a 30lb coho‘. Great idea though. Gotta say.

It will get better with time. Also, if that Hali pic showed the fishes head, it would have given a totally different result. The app isn't designed to give you something to legally stand by if you get questioned but you have to at least give it the photo that it wants to let it run its analysis. Get the fish horizontal with a full view of the fish and I bet it doesn't think that hali is a pink

I don't get it. You are supposed to catch the fish, bring it on board, wrestle with it to get the perfect pic, submit to the site to get an answer and then release the fish if it isn't legal?

It should allow a photo to be taken in the water next to boat. Facial Recognition sorta technology. It’s not new.

If you have to use an app to photograph and ID the fish species you brought on board to retain or release....you should probably not be fishing for retention purposes. Also worth noting even though this app says it works in conjunction with DFO you can't record your catch on this app and have it count when getting checked by C+P officers, a friendly officer exercising discretion may cut you a break however you still need to record your Chinook/Hali and lings on the inside on your licence.

I just think this app is another way of tracking the sporty... what we catch, where we are fishing. I could go on and on, however I would never use it. I am sure it tracks location and the fish it attempts to identify.

Back