Fishing Uclulet

B

Bravefart

Just back after a fishing trip to Uclulet. Halibut fishing was awesome, limiting out 5 fishermen in an hour at the the 26 miles bank. Used herring on a spreader bar. Top Hali weighed in at 60Lbs.
Moved back to the 17 ml. bank and limited out on Spring (Top was a 28lb red spring),limited out on hatchery Coho. Salmon seemed to like the watermelon Coyote spoons.

Is it my imagination or are the hatchery Coho bigger than the wild?

All I can say is you WCI guys are spoiled. (Im so envious)
Don't even want to go fishing in the lower mainland.

You take a beating getting out to the far bank but the rewards are well worth it.

Davie

I have fished Ucluelet for many years (May, June, July, August and Sept) and there are lots of Halibut around in August. The best time is May/June, but I have never I problems getting Halis in July and August. As with any time fishing the offshore banks, weather can be a factor, expecially the fog in August.

Never fished Halis at Southbank in August. Always head to Big Bank. Southbank tends to be best in May/June

I've always gone up the last week in June and did well at Southwest Corner and Portland Point six miles out. Since I'm going one week later this year after the forth, will the fish be in closer? I've always used hardware but, thinking if bait may be the choice to use because of the later date. Biggest spring for us has been a 35 and a 55 Hali. Like to get my first 50 if possible.

Mid July is still early for close in (rock pile) fishing. Every year when I go mid July (this year 16-20) I end up going to Big Bank. Corner can also be good and is not as far. However, much fewer Halis at Corner. Occassionally, some slabs are caught in close, but lots of time and effort required. Best bet is to stop at Island West and yack with the guides. If you can, follow them out one morning and you will know where the fishing is hot. Bill is the best...been there a long time and knows his stuff.

I might make the run from island west out to big bank with a buddy who charters out of Uci. i am rigged with all but Radar Im thinking of saving for the 4 kw model Furuno. Due to dome size, i may settle for a 2.2 kw 16 mile though. Two boats is a bit more comforting, offshore .As a lodging guest, Island west has been very helpful and has no problems with following them out either, very cool of them to offer. With any luck the inshore slabs should keep us busy enough to resist the push out for the hali. PUKE'ULET' IN' 'FOGUST'...

Island West Resort is a neat place to stay. I've been going there for the last twenty years. After all these years, you'd think I'd know how to get the fish to jump into my boat.

Fished there once myself,Caught some nice fish.But i always felt like crap.I,d go back to pucelet.The fishing was WELL worth it.

thanks the runt

After all these years, you would think I know Big Bank. Never did very well except for Hali's. I've done my best at South Bank, Southwest Corner and Portland Point. Maybe because I'm a tide change fisherman. I can't seem to get up at first light like most people. By the time I have breakfast and mosey out to where we're going to fish, it's around ten o'clock. Don't roll you eyes too much. I just have big expetations on my time.

Back