Fishing Tragedy

Wow that's a awful way to end a fishing trip , Condolences to the families involved,Another HARSH reminder about boat safety..and wearing a P.F.D.

Tragedy, no doubt. But launching at 4:30- PM???? We call these tragedies "accidents" but you just know there was some serious operator error going on, also known as bad judgement.

The time of the day was one thing. But that launch is bad-butt under even the best of conditions---it's basically in the middle of a Class III rapid: before you even think of getting in your boat, you better make sure your oars are properly seated in the locks and that absolutely NOTHING is sticking out past the gunnels of the boat because the current is "swollen" even in medium to low water conditions

Short answer---you do not even think of putting together your rods until you're safely anchored downstream. The rapids push you immediately into the bushes below the launch ramp ---as soon as you take your first stroke on the oar you have bushes in your face---

You can picture what happened--- the rods hung in the bushes, guy in the bow lunged for them, the guy on the oars might have lost his concentration--- that and the passenger's lunge probably capsized the boat.

I do a launch like that up in Alaska when I do my 6 day raft trips--- everything looks so peaceful---glassy smooth pool etc, but as soon as the raft is in the current you get immediately pushed into the bushes (trees) below the ramp. All systems have to be "go" when you push free of the ramp---oars in a tight fist, bow properly oriented, blades in the water with firm purchase.

Every year I try and remember that dynamic---- I leave all my rods in their tubes until I'm well below the launch.

Yes, prayers for the guy's relatives but try and imprint the mistakes they made that day between two banks of a river between your own two ears---it might save your life some day

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of talk about this accident locally and on the ifish site and on bloodydecks. Guys were in trouble right at the launch area. High water, big rocks, fast current, not enough experience at the area and not enough experience on the oars. Not to mention the PFD that was not strapped on. The boat was pushed up against the trees at the bank and took on water.

We can have some nasty times on the Olympic Peninsula rivers during the high rain and snow melt times, which is going on now.

PFD!!!!!! I put mine on before prepping the boat for launch.

what a terrible situation. Things happen fast in a drift boat and if you can't react then this can be the outcome. It sound like a few trips down a much milder system would have done these boys some good. Understanding how the water pushes a drift boat and how you control it with the oars are critical. Just because you can buy the boat doesn't mean you know how to use it. Super sad ending....

Tragic loss and entirely preventable. They launched into an unknown waterway alone, the victim was using his pfd as a seat cushion, rods not properly stowed, the list goes on. I try to think of what can go wrong (without being paranoid), have scared myself a few times by being careless in a boat.

Thanks for posting Rockfish.
Rivers are dangerous and require respect . Experience teaches respect.
My condolences ,very sad.

Great comment. My condolences as well. Having grown up on rivers and lake fishing, I learned the dangers. The ocean was a new world to me; which I am respecting and learning. They are not inter changeable, knowledge of one does not equate to knowledge of the other.

Back