Fishing the columbia near Trail

Myboat@i

Hello just registered today was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of fishing the Columbia river near trail, was planning maybe a trip in September with our 20 ft hewescraft with outboard propped not to sure about the boat in the river any info would be greatly appreciated thanx. Greg

Did well on Walleye near the dam they're dead easy to catch on yellow or yellow/white coloured jigs.

My home waters. I know that river very well. If you have any questions, let me know. I would be glad to help you out.

Very low water right now and a 20 foot Hewescraft will need some water on the ramp to launch/recover, may want to check and make sure your intended launch will work for your sized boat. Locally Scotch Ck boat launch on Shu Lake is unusable for my Hewes Searunner 18ET due to this year's low water.

Cheers!

Ukee

Goodmorning Gerry thanx all for responding to me was wondering about the walleye fishing in the columbia river anywere close to Trail or thereabouts and if it is safe to take my 20 ft boat in there and possibly what the fishing is like nearing the end of September. Greg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only fished that stretch once a few years ago and camped at Beaver Creek Provincial Park where I also launched our 17' bow rider. It happened to be late September and the manager of the park at that time was very helpful with both boating info and fishing locations. I had no worries running my boat down to the gravel pit where there's a really deep hole but below that you get a very long shallow run along the road all the way to the dam on the Pend Oreille. That stretch had my nerves rattled as it felt like I barely had enough water and there's no channel as its seemed to be consistent depth across the full width with very swift water. Once below the dam we fish that great stretch to the US border which is really close so pay attention as we went over the border the first day as i expected it to be clearly marked which it is not. Luckily nothing happened and we ran back up into the Canadian side. Above Beaver Creek we ran upriver a bit and seemed deep with channels and fished some area's but best luck was below the dam casting into the shoreline.

With all that said no idea what the water level is like this year. As of September BC Hydro reduced the flow from the Keenleyside dam as they were no longer required to release minimum flows for the USA. Maybe try checking with the Manager at the Prov Park or the tackle store in Castlegar.

Like to know how it goes as I'm thinking of giving it a try again this year later this month.

Back