Fishing Report

Steelhead S2

Hit a fantastic north island flow today. Low, clear, and c-c-c-cold, but it gave up a fish. Bar chrome and it absolutely inhaled the jig. So it was a bunch of firsts: first time on that river, first fish on that river, and first steeler on a jig. Met some good folks too.

In case anyone is interested, the jig is blue and black with a bit of flash.

Beauty S2.....
You forgot the camera? :p
:D

you are screwed now i got hooked on jigs last year and now all i take to the river is a handfull of jigs and 2 goey bobs
P1010847.jpg
i spent 80 bucks on rubber legged steelhead jigs from the states and havent caught a thing on them, catch all my fish on simple home tied pink ones

Ya, I really enjoy tying them, which is what got me interested as much as anything. I gave them a good workout last year, but never connected. And lost a huge number on the bottom. I'm finally getting the hang of measuring from float to jig and estimating the water depth. Not to mention just being confident that they are fishing and the fish will move up to strike. It'll take a lot more that one fish to get me off rubber eggs though. :)

i fish them with a drennan float a couple of bobber stops and a jig on strait 12 pound no leader, its so simple.. im always changing my mind about the colour of jig to fish its seems everytime i switch colour i get a fish. my buddy that i was saying got his first 3 fish on the stamp on super low clear water got them on the huge 1/2 ounce jig on the bottom right, its almost the size of a tennis ball... i think its all about resistence free drifts instead of colour or size

I know what you're saying about colour changes too. Sometimes that can really switch on a fish that's seen you previous offerings without reacting.

Back