Fishing Deep

S

spring slayer

I have done alot of west coast fishing but not alot of east coast fishing. On the inside can you not catch fish at 20-60 ft like on the outside. I rarely ever fish deeper then 60ft on the west coast. Why are they so deep on the inside??

thanks in Advance

Dan

Okay, here's a wild butt uneducated theory.

In our area there is almost zero bull kelp. I know of only two very small beds in a two hour boating radius around us. This means the bait fish and game fish have no suspended structure to hang out in so the only place they can find protection from light/current is bottom structure. When the tides are running the only place I find fish winter/summer is 120-180' and the bait is all in a thin layer close to the bottom. In the summer on slacks I find fish shallow as the bait balls go shallow to feed.

The oldtimers in the area say the inside strait used to be thick with kelp beds which provided spawning material for the herring as well as structure. Not sure why there is no kelp anymore other than the no seas otters, so tonnes of urchins, so no kelp theory.

It's a theory but I wouldn't bet money on it....

Every area is different and ill use knight inlet(upper and mid) for example we normally fish in 200 to well the sounder dosnt go that far and yet we seem to get most of the fish around the 60 to 80 ft level now down near swanson island 50 ft is the prefered then you go up to the back side of malcom island last year 27 ft was money and all these fishing grounds are about with in 30 mins of each other.

Sooke usually every where you fish is 50 to 90 ft level then you go to otter and you get them at 30 ft to 50 ft sometimes you just need to change and adapt which I know it is hard to do as we think they are deeper thats where good electronics have made our lives easier. look at the ol days of a 2 lb ball of the rod and 40 pulls realistically I bet we were only down 30 ft.

simplier times for sure

Wolf

Back