Fishing Burke and Dean Channels / Kimsquit

Sharphooks

Thinking of changing the plan this year and doing some exploring in Burke and Dean Channels.
Has anybody made the run to Kimsquit?

Looks like lots of deep water, maybe tough to anchor. Anybody with experience in that part of Central Coast?

Beautiful, beautiful, country..,.
I've been there (up those channels) a few times. Anchorages can be found but can be a bit of a distance between them so best to look at the maps to mark out where good ones can be found. An anchorage can usually be found where a valley draws down to meet the channel... A few nice hotsprings in the area as well at good anchorages. Lots of bears in the area so be bear aware...
One trip early spring stands out in my mind as there were literally dozens of large (100+) schools of dolphins cruising up and down the channels... They would see the boat from the opposite side of a channel, make a beeline for it and play upfront and alongside the boat. they're curious and they love attention it seems... Lots of beautiful waterfalls in the area also.

If you are interested in fishing up there then NOW is the time into early June. It will be the dean/bella coola and Atnarko fish.....

The Burke has been known for some nice Hali too!!! Fish it on the slack as the water is really active there.

Been in there many times for work. You should be able to find anchorages. Definitely check out the Eucott bay hot springs! Can't help with the fishing but the scenery is top notch. Haven't noticed many people sportfishing in the past.

If you are interested in fishing up there then NOW is the time into early June. It will be the dean/bella coola and Atnarko fish.....

Yes, I was mulling on the timing---I'd hoped early July would work for Dean springs but maybe too late? One plan was to bring a small inflatable and use it to go up the Dean for springs and early steelhead

Main effort is just to see the country---Came in from Chilcotin side many years ago from Williams Lake to that part of the worl -- spectacular part of BC---coming by salt looks even better

I have friends that fish the Dean every year... I believe they usually fish around the 3rd week in June. Definitely in June anyways...

I think by July you will be too late for chinook in the salt...maybe the river still. I know the lower dean can be quite busy with lots of guide boats running around. Really nice country and worth the trip for sure.

Back