Fishing around Lake Cowichan

• Thread starter Thread starter tortuga
  • Start date Start date
T

tortuga

My kid has a hockey tourney there next week and we will have Saturday off after 10 am.
I'm a newb to these south island parts and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to do some shore casting for trout.
Cheers

If they are skating in the arena at the south end of the lake where you have to go through town then there is a nice public beach just after the arena by the city run campsites called Lakeview. I don't know if it's open this time of year but it's worth checking out. There will be a large wooden carved out sign with green lettering 1/2 a kilometer north of the arena. Take a right at the sign and you will hit a gravel road. The gravel road will split off so keep to the right and on down the hill. At the bottom you will see parking and a log boom area for swimming. When facing the water, there is a small opening on the right hand side where the log booms open up where there is about a 12 second drop 50 feet out. On the opposite end to the left there is a dock that I have fished off of when camping there. It's quite a bit deeper off the end so if you don't get any bites off shore, I would make my way down to the dock. Good luck.

Doug

Creek mouths..... You're welcome
emo-coffee.gif

you can also try the launch dock at the Marina on Point Ideal. You will pass Point Ideal road just by the A&W enroute the arena. Lots of Trout off the end of the dock normally. Ashburnam Creek mouth is also good out by Honeymoon Bay. Great place to sit on the beach and cast to the drop off. Bottom eggs are good. Stop at the Cowichan Fly and Tacle on the way in acroos from Dollar Store and ask Gord where and what to use.

Back