fishing around Courtney-Comox

• Thread starter Thread starter NAC
  • Start date Start date
N

NAC

Hi All!

I'm from Waterloo, ON and have visited the island numerous times in the last 10yrs and have stood and ogled over what looks to be so many prime fishing spots, while traveling.
I'm really partial to the subject area and a friend owns around 18acres fronting the Puntledge R(near hatchery) near Comox Lake. I'll be out for the Moutcha Bay Kayak Fishing derby at the end of August- Labour day weekend and will probably stay around for a few more days to take advantage of my BC fish license.

Staying around Comox and having a fishing kayak, does anyone have any suggestions of spots to try? I'll probably need a different license to fish the rivers. Is there decent fishing around the islands Denman, Hornby then?
Would I be better to head toward Pt Alberni, Bamfield with a kayak?
Not sure if there are any kayak fishermen here?

Thanks for any help.

yes-- you will need a provincial fresh water license (with an extra salmon stamp) if you plan on fishing for and keeping a salmon in freshwater.

In the salt-- you will need a federal license and a salmon stamp if you plan on fishing for salmon.
barbless hooks required for all salmon fishing

As far a yak fishing-- yes, the bottom of Hornby Is is great (as long as you dont face a SE wind). Heron Rocks, Flora, Nash Bank and Norris Rock are really worth a try in the fall.

If you are a really experience kayaker, then Bamfield is a cinch. Just remind yourself that you will have such a low profile that in poor light, you run the risk if becoming a bow ornament.. Especially during the morning run out to the banks!! carry a GPS as well.. lost of fog in Fogust! You dont get that at Hornby until much later in the year.

I am not a kayak person-- too much damn work, but I have lots of small boat experience in both areas. Hope this helps

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Thanks CL.

I am an experienced paddler and I'm glad you identified the possible conditions to be aware of.
Always have the GPS on larger water bodies.
Fogust! [8D]
Is the water deep around Hornby? I could bring a portable sonar.

I'll now need to research baits/lures. Is it all chinooks and coho around Hornby?

Thanks again!

Drops off to 200ft or more , but mostly <100ft where you would be fishing. Sounder is a REAL advantage as the most productive way to fish that area , other then trolling, is jigging with lures like a buzzbomb or Zzinger. get on top of the bait and you have a much better chance of hooking up with both chinook and coho. Rockfish and lingcod also inhabit that area.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Back