Fishfinder gps question.

bcbassfishing

Looking at the Garmin Striker and see that it has active captain? real answers are hard to find but Navoinics mapping seems to be the go to but is this sutible for fishing on the coast? I'm only in an 18ft aluminum so no fancy off shore cool guy stuff. Anyone up for giving me the real heads up here? or do I have to upgrade to the echomap version?

Looking at the Garmin Striker and see that it has active captain? real answers are hard to find but Navoinics mapping seems to be the go to but is this sutible for fishing on the coast? I'm only in an 18ft aluminum so no fancy off shore cool guy stuff. Anyone up for giving me the real heads up here? or do I have to upgrade to the echomap version?
Don’t know the specifics on the garmin units or what active captain is... most of my friends run the hds units from lowrance. The navionics charts are superb. They show detail that you won’t get with c maps charts.
as for a transducer the p66 is a good saltwater unit for deep water unless you want to get into a chirp/downscan/sidescan/live image rabbit hole

I’ll try. Garmin purchased Navionics a few years back and uses it for its mapping. Active Captain is partof their online platform where users can sign up and add or edit things, or share spots and charts with the Garmin community. for example ifyour fish finder has the capability, you can record the bottom and locate pinnacles etc that aren’t on the generic charts. you can then upload these charts via active captain for all to see. i have yet to meet or talk to anyone who would do such a thing

I fish just about every species this province has including bass and walleye so down imaging is awesome for us them but probably useless in the chuck. As far as the mapping saltwater thing it's fairly comfusing for a simple person like myself. To me it looks like a guy doesn't have to drop another $300 on mapping going this route... maybe I'm way off base here though.

The striker 7 that I had a couple of years back had no built in map. Just a white screen to find you back to a man overboard or a spot you like. I quickly added a lowrance as a second screen. The garmin did have a very good sounder image though!

The striker 7 that I had a couple of years back had no built in map. Just a white screen to find you back to a man overboard or a spot you like. I quickly added a lowrance as a second screen. The garmin did have a very good sounder image though!

I had the striker 65cv on my bass boat and it was awesome and simple for a poor redneck like me. I think I might just bite the bullet and go to the echo map version. I've played with lowrance and just not feeling the ease of use. Budget is a bit of a factor as well as new downriggers are in short order for the new ride as well. On the plus side the paint work got finished today and looks great. lol

As mentioned above, Garmin owns Navionics & even before this purchase Garmin maps were very similar to Navionics. It is my impression that all the GPS map companies use the same source data, with bottom contour lines every 6-12 feet or so. These detailed charts are also a separate purchase.
If you understand what these detailed fishing oriented "bathymetric charts" are trying to tell you (where fish may be more likely under certain tide/current conditions (ledges, drop-offs ,etc) they are very useful. If you already know the area you are fishing very well , they may be of limited use.

The Strikers don't have these maps as an option.

Back