Fisheries bill: subverting the law for partisan re

Fishinnut

PUBLICATION: The Chronicle-Herald

DATE: 2007.03.03

SECTION: Opinion

PAGE: A15

BYLINE: Ralph Surette

WORD COUNT: 768

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fisheries bill: subverting the law for partisan reasons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF FISHERIES were taken seriously in Ottawa, here's something that would be on top of the TV news right now: an uprising against a proposed new Fisheries Act (Bill C-45) that would, by all appearances, give the minister of fisheries and his bureaucrats arbitrary powers over fishing; subvert national standards for fish habitat protection; and undercut the security of fishermen's licences and fish allocations - that could be farmed out to friends of government, big corporations, or anyone the minister chooses.

Privatization, politicization and concentration of power at the centre - the increasingly clear trademarks of the Harper government - are being introduced to fisheries. Protests have been pouring in from most significant fisheries, sports fishing, and environmental organizations across the country.

The three opposition parties are opposed and, interestingly, the Conservatives are feeling heat from within. B.C. Tory John Cummins, a former fisherman, was kicked off the Commons fisheries committee by Prime Minister Stephen Harper for opposing the new law. And even in the Tories' Alberta heartland, there's pressure on MPs from those worried about preserving waterways in the face of the oil boom.

The objections centre on a number of points, but primarily these.

C-45 gives the Department of Fisheries and Oceans the power to enter into fishery management agreements (MFAs) with provinces or "other organizations" of the minister's choosing. In particular, habitat protection can be downloaded to provinces, thus destroying national standards for habitat protection, and weakening that protection at the same time since most provinces can be counted upon to favour development over environment. There are also what critics see as loopholes to allow mining and other interests to befoul waterways.

MFAs also allow DFO to hand out quotas to favoured groups - even those without licences. Even to the local Tory association, as the wags are saying. Since these MFAs can be pretty well secret - something else left to "ministerial discretion" - a fisherman could be arrested for fishing illegally while not even knowing that his quota had been given to someone else. DFO also gives itself the right to force fishermen, as a condition of the licence, to fund research projects or anything else ministerial discretion deems useful. The law also makes licences non-transferable.

There are deeper issues. The law implicitly ends the fishery as a "common property resource" - a legal principle going back to Magna Carta. However, and contradictorally, it also prohibits licences from becoming "property" with certain rights attached. Bureaucratic - and perhaps political - considerations, rather than legal principle, will be the foundation of this new order, with all the potential for abuse therein.

There may also be Charter of Rights problems - in that bureaucrats, in secret and without oversight, may make or change regulations that could send fishermen to jail. The Constitution gives that right only to cabinet.

Fisheries Minister Loyola Hearn protests mightily that C-45 is based on broad, even unprecedented, consultations - yet hardly anyone who is anyone in fishing or the environment can remember being consulted. And he insists that the objections to C-45 are nonsensical - regulations will be introduced to cover all the perceived shortfalls.

What he's saying is "trust me." And the answer is: no, not for a minute. This bill is too consistent with the manipulations of the Harper government generally. Even to the point that what looks like good ideas at first glance in the bill are soiled by the political context.

One of these is the measure to create fisheries tribunals. Prosecuting poaching and other minor fishery infractions is slow and awkward in the courts. Expediting these cases through administrative procedures - with the accused having the right to appeal to the courts - seemed like a good idea. However, with the Harper Tories packing the regular courts with their soul-mates, would these tribunals be the same - with secret hearings letting friends of government off the hook?

Furthermore, there's been the problematic refusal to join in on the trawler ban in international waters, the appointment of one of Hearn's Newfoundland political friends as "fishery ambassador" - whatever that is - and projected budget cuts for science, conservation and protection in DFO over the next three years.

With all opposition parties opposed, C-45 looks like it's going nowhere. But with this kind of work afoot, it's another reason for sober pause as the Harper government rises in the polls and seems within striking distance of majority government.

Ralph Surette is a veteran freelance journalist living in Yarmouth County.

Thanks Fishinnut

The Bill has already caused deep despondency among Cdn fishers.

For those interested, the Chronicle Herald is published in Halifax.
http://www.herald.ns.ca/NovaScotia

If you open the link, then do a search of the past 7 days stories (as far back as you can search) for "fish" you'll get some interesting stories and commentary on the Bill.

The east coasters seem to be much more aware of the bill's impacts than we on the west coast are, particularly in the "Press".

Sounds like a big Liberal newspaper to me, speaking of which in all the years in power what did the Liberals ever do for the west coast fishery except close down some hatcheries and allow special interest groups to dictate how things are managed. Did you know on the east coast unless you have a commercial fishing licence you can't even drop a lobster trap and forget ocean sport fishing, unless for mackerel, they'd hang you catching a cod!

Oh, and fishinnut what does an American know about what goes on up here anyway? Don't you think your energy would be better spent fixing the problems you got south of the 49th?

Sounds like you're pretty accurate there reel easy.
One of the many problems facing the fishery is the "eastern oriented" bureaucracy/political approach to dealing with fishing issues. The bias is definitely towards the commercial industry.

The one thing I've seen in the Bill that I thought held promise is the "fishery management agreements", although not in the way they might have in mind. I've always thought it was ludicrous that the Fed's have governance over the salmon, but the Province has control over the home range (spawning and rearing strams and estuarine areas). The Province has happily and profitably let the rivers be ruined through logging, mining, agriculture and real estate development. The Feds somewhat manage the catch of whatever is available. Whatever happens, the responce is that it is not our fault. Some other level of government is to blame.

It may be nice to have one level of government responsible for the whole.

Reel Easy, did I hit a nerve enlightening you? Believe me I do more than my part down here. I attend a minimum of 36 meetings a year in the lower 49 as you call it. That’s 36 fishing days! I get a minimum of 10-15 emails a day of political fishing happenings. When something comes across my desk that concerns recreational fishermen getting screwed, I send it on. Especially lately when the west coast USA, BC, and Alaska sportfishermen all came under attack with their halibut by the commercials. They are taking many, many times more fish and paint us as the bag guys. I just want to fish, but it is not that easy any more. It is easier to criticize than do anything. Oh yeah, I am also the president of one of the largest, if not the largest sportfishing club in Washington state. This takes a ton of work and devotion. If you don’t have anything nice to say….. Kind of surprising as I have always said how nice the BC people are when I fish lodges up there. You sound like a typical American.

If you notice, I have sent this board some pretty important facts in the past that are going on in your own country that most do not know about, along with who to contact for you. I do the same down here and we are fighting off the big wars here in Washington State nonstop. If you don't want to read it, don't. I am just making sure that you know. It is nothing more than information that concerns you. Deal with it how you choose. They can slip these bills through back doors and into order before the public knows sometimes. If it comes across my emails, I will send it out to who might be able to benefit. After that, you do the homework. I tell people if they want to bury their head in the sand, then don’t complain when you lose more fishing.

We had a bill a couple years ago that was founded by the Packard and Pews foundation to save fish off of our coast with closures. It was worded to the point that even the tribes were on board with it. It was headed for a complete ocean closure and no one seemed to know it but about four of us that did our research. We spent two complete days sending emails out to our members and everyone on our fishing lists to email, write, and call their senators and representatives to kill this bill. The problem was that these foundations give a ton of money out to entities and get them on board by funding them. The bill sounds great sheep in wolves clothing) starts gaining steam and at the last minute they slip in the particulars that go for the throat. The people they have given the grants to, cannot afford to pay it back, so they have to go along with what they are told. Since they cannot pay the hundreds of thousands of dollars back, they get it past. If you do not pay attention to the track record of these extreme environmentalists groups, you will be sadly taken. We did it by their history on the east coast. They have so much grant money that it is ridiculous. Movie stars give them millions and so do big corporations as a feel good campaign. We jambed every email box, phone line, and mail box and got it killed. If this had passed it would have been Oregon and California next. After they would prove success through junk science (which is all they use) they would be knocking on BCs door next.

We have had 5 bills in our senate in the past three weeks trying to pull the rug out from under our Department of Wildlife Commission. We are finally at a point on our commission that the recreationals have a swaying vote for the first time ever. Our governor put it into place. The feds that run it, the NRC want it to stay commercial, so they are trying to put a bill into effect that the commission chair is senate approved, which there is only one, a commercial. They play dirty pool on everything. It is no different in BC. I send this info in good faith and am not looking for someone to unload on me.

I think there is alot to learn from what happens south of our border. I have seen it in alot of industy, if it happens in the U.S. its only a matter of time before it happens here. Don't be ignorant to what happens in the states. You never know if its the template to whats going to happen up here. We learn from each others mistakes and benefit from the successes. Stay informed!

Thanks for the info guys:)

Back