First time in B.C. River guide advice

fleeteric

Hi all,
Coming up from AZ for the month of July ‘24
Looking to fish a couple of half days, with a guide, since I’m a newbie.
Don’t particularly like trolling, so I think a river float trip would be great, but certainly open to any and all suggestions!
Wife doesn’t fish, so just me, will certainly pair up with others
Any days, the whole month is open
Staying just outside of Victoria.

TIA , Eric

The past few years river fishing on Vancouver Island has been Closed all summer due to low water levels but maybe you could fish the Stamp for Sockeye.

You'll have more fun fishing sockeye in the inlet on a boat. Just a snag fest in the river.
Yup, shoulder to shoulder combat flossing, and flossing is just code for legalized snagging. It is fine for harvesting fish for the freezer but it really isn't fishing.

Damn little in the way of river fishing on the island in late July. Sockeye flossery on the stamp. A few summer steelhead on the upper stamp. Should be tons of pinks in the Campbell by then but that is a zoo as well, and lately many rivers that have a few trout have been shut down completely because of drought conditions.

Much better off fishing in the salt as it is prime time pretty much everywhere in the salt in late July. You don't have to troll in the salt, you can jig, bucktail, fly fish, mooch, or try cut plugging. Trolling is generally the easiest and most productive but the previously mentioned options can also be really effective at times and are much more fun than trolling IMO.

Good luck and enjoy your stay here.

Last edited:
As far as freshwater, I don’t need Salmon, just want to experience fishing up there.

Salt will be my preference for Salmon….any recommendations for where a single can join another to book a half day would be appreciated.

Back