EZ Steer

• Thread starter Thread starter BOJANGLE
  • Start date Start date
B

BOJANGLE

I have an E-Z Steer (a rod that slides inside another rod) system between my main and kicker motors. It doesn't want to hold...just slides back and forth....there looks kike a kinda valve on top, but it doesn't make sense to put air into it... maybe it is just a set screw that needs tightening ?? anyone help ?

As the other post said look for the allen set screw; and heres another one that can bight you in the butt, check to see if you have taken the tension off of the kicker motor, some people forget to slide the friction brake off and leave the tension on which will translate into the rod sliding because there is too much resistance from the kicker pivot point.

AL

From their site

Rod does not adjust properly, it is either too loose or too tight. (Either the auxiliary will not follow because the rod slips, or with the auxiliary motor tipped up the rod does not extend.)
Move the inner rod in or out of the outer rod. If the inner rod will not move, remove the white plastic cap on the outer rod and back off the Allen screw inside the detente tube. As soon as the inner rod is movable, extend or insert the inner rod until you feel the detente pin drop into one of the grooves in the inner rod. At this point, tighten the Allen screw until it is snug. Now back off the Allen screw one and one-half turns. This will adjust the rod so that approximately 20 pounds of pressure is needed to make it adjust.
If you want to check the accuracy of this adjustment, you can extend the rod, place the end of the rod on a bathroom scale, and try to compress the rod. Check the scale reading to see how much pressure was needed to compress the rod. If further adjustments are necessary, turn the Allen screw by one-eighth of a turn increments. It changes very quickly.

Thanks Boys....thought that kinda looked like a set screw in there...thanks .. and I'll check that friction setting but methinks it's okay, cause it turns pretty freely by hand....caught a load of crab in the Chemainus River estuary yesterday.. some of the biggest I;ve seen in awhile...liking my new bateau....hear some good springs coming in from the outside of Galiano, just off the kelp beds...
wish work would quit getting in the way of me fishing...

EZsteer is located in Everett Wash. USA. Very nice folks to deal with. They'll help you get it right.

EZ steer
3106 Hill Ave.
Everett, Wa. 98201 USA
phone: 425-259-5476

john

Back