EWdmonton, Alberta fishing spots

Island Fish Lifter

I know this is a BC fishing site, however I an in the Edmonton area for a week and would like to check out some fishing spots.. anyone have any recommendations?

Hey Dave,

Are you using a boat and what species are you looking to target?

The only thing really close is the North Saskatchewan river, 29 different species of fish. In town, its walleye, goldeye and pike for the most part......and if you're lucky, a sturgeon. Wabamun has pretty big pike but you need a boat. For trout, most of the stocked lakes are good(nothing like here or the interior though). PM me if you want to know specifics about any place, I lived in Edmonton for 35 years.

Cheers,

BL

You need a boat but Pigeon Lake south of Edmonchuck has (or used to have anyway) fantastic walleye fishing with the chance to hook into a big pike, as well.

within an hour west of edmonton there are lots of pothole lakes. if you have a boat or float tube- flyfish leaches/chironomids or cast spinners/small red/white spoons. from shore- cast out some bait/marshmallows/powerbait and sit in your lawnchair, or cast small mepps spinners/red and white spoons.

Star Lake- very small lake, but big trout. My buddy and I caught two 4lb trout in the same week there. South of the yellowhead hwy west of stony plain. It was my favourite, but there are many others.

see http://flyfish-edmonton.webs.com/edmontonlakes.htm
Star Lake is my favorite Edmonton fishery. Star is consistently producing some large trout but don't expect high catch rates here as the trout are very fickle and feeding can turn on and off like a light switch with the switch being turned off more than on. Star lake reminds me of Hasse Lake about 18-20 years ago. The lake is stalked every spring with Rainbow trout and there is easy access for float tubes and boats (electric motors only) as the parking lot is located right on the lake. A great lake for those looking for more of a challenge with some really good chironomid hatches through out the summer.

Directions: From Edmonton take hwy16 west to Manly Corner, then 7km south on hwy770 and 3km west (look for sign). Star Lake is just west of Mink Lake.

Muir Lake- fly only,with a small pier and a few spots you can wade in. Close to Star Lake, but just north of the yellowhead hwy. Both lakes a quick 35-40 minute blast down the highway heading west. I would fish both Muir and Star in a day.

Here is the write-up.

Muir Lake is a work in progress. This lake was stocked back in the 60's & 70's but because of yearly winterkill, the stocking program was stopped.

The lake is now stocked every spring with rainbow trout which started in May of 2003 thanks to the efforts of the Edmonton Trout Club, the Northern Lights Fly Tiers, the Edmonton Old Timers Fishing Club and Trout Unlimited Edmonton.

This project includes an enhanced fishery and with the help of two aerators, anglers will have a chance at larger then average trout. Also found at Muir Lake is the education center to teach anglers how trout fisheries rely on various organisms that live in and around the water. Other enhancements to look forward to are; the Walk Of Fame, honoring those who have enriched angling in Alberta and eventually a fly-casting platform.

Muir has in affect special regulations for anglers, which include:

Anglers may keep only one fish over 50 cm per day (Any fish under 50cm must be released)
Artificial lures only (No Bait)
No fishing from November 1 to April 30 (Open May 01 - Oct 31)
A plan to have no gas motors (electric only)
Initially, the growth rates at Muir were lower then expected, we assume because of the lack of harvesting. The stocking in 2006 and 2007 was much lower leaving more bio-mass for the trout to grow. In 2007 we started seeing larger trout with some getting over the size limit mark of 50cm's.

The only negative feed back other then slow growth from the trout is the amount of weed growth. By the time August comes around, it's hard to get to the east side of the lake in a float tube due to the high growth in weeds. We talked about cutting the weeds back but no action had been agreed upon.

Directions: From Edmonton travel west on the Yellowhead (hwy 16) and turn north on Campsite Road then head west on 540. Turn south (left) just before the road bends north. From Stony Plain, head north on secondary highway 779 then east on 540. At the T-intersection, turn south (right) and take your first right (south) into the parking lot.

NOTE: Muir Lake was stocked with 5,000 17cm triploid rainbow trout in May of '08. As of the fall of 2009, water levels at Muir were exceptionally low and although we saw plenty of rain for 2010, reports came in of a partial summer kill. As of Sept/Oct 2010, Muir has been fishing well but few trout over 22 inches have been reported.

Lots of info! Hasse lake is another one,west of e-town with trout. Morrinville resovoir,north of town has trout. North Saskatchewan as mentioned has lake sturgeon, if u have a boat and know where to look.

Back