Evening fishing

Tips Up

I have always been a morning fisherman but would like to get out for some evenings this year.

I understand Otter can have a good night bite on a flood.
Anyone want to share some info?
What time(s) does the evening bite seem to come on?
Is it directly related to tide?
What areas of Sooke seem to produce in the evening?

Thanks

I'm no sooke regular but my two best trips in the area have been to Otter in the evening. Can't remember the particular tides tho.

Sure does. I plan to be there weather permitting.

The morning tides don't look so good, although I did well Sunday AM on a big ebb.

Funny how we get stuck on things that have worked in the past. Fish the same tides, same locations, same gear. This year I have vowed to experiment. HMMM I think last year I vowed to experiment.

I never catch fish on spoons... then again I never fish spoons.
I never catch fish in the evening... then again I never fish evenings.

Row Bags... Is that all I get??

Just looked tides for this Saturday and that is a MAJOR afternoon flood. That flood current will be smokin fast. Seven feet in seven hours! Almost too strong.....the current will change from ebb to flood between 2 and 4pm and then it'll flood like a bugger till dark. Could push a lot of springs thru though...

So on Saturday (and Sunday) would you get up early or would you wait for the flood? And are the winds likely to pick up in the afternoon?

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Well the ebb will be hard in the morning so I will definately avoid that, but if you're lucky you could still scratch one first thing in the morning. I, however, am not lucky so I would aim to be on the water at 2:00 and fish the tide change until the early evening. The current off the first rock at Otter might be a bit too strong for my taste so I would stay West of that. And yeah, the winds might come up in the afternoon so it's a risk, but hard to predict. I usually check the wind report the night before. There's a couple good sites on the internet, including Washington state which has fairly accurate predictions for Juan de Fuca.

Back