Engine noise effects on trolling at shallow depths on the DR

Newf

Crew Member
I’ve often read fishing reports where folks report the hot zone for the day was 30-40ft on the DR. I’ve fished these depths a few times without much success and wondered if the noise from my 3 cylinder diesel banging away would penetrate to those depths and affect my hook up rates???? Probably a stupid question but what the hell,,,curious minds need to know.

There is no universal hot zone. So if you read a report from somewhere and then fished the same depth in a different spot on a different day you wont have the same result. Now if you were fishing in a pack of boats at the same depth and everyone else was getting fish that would be a different story. But then speed, gear selection/presentation etc all come into play before I'd be wondering about engine noise

I know that there is no universal hot zone but is a phrase I used to describe as you say when those around you are getting fish and reporting the depths etc. I seem to have no trouble hooking up in 55-80ft when others are doing the same but rarely in the shallower depths so my speed and gear selection does not appear to be the issue at those depths. Thanks for your comments.

I’ve often read fishing reports where folks report the hot zone for the day was 30-40ft on the DR. I’ve fished these depths a few times without much success and wondered if the noise from my 3 cylinder diesel banging away would penetrate to those depths and affect my hook up rates???? Probably a stupid question but what the hell,,,curious minds need to know.
For what it’s worth, Newf, I often fished that depth range in the old Dorman Point when targeting coho or late summer springs off the Fraser and up the beaches of the Sunshine Coast. She had a 3 cylinder Beta, and I always felt my success rate was pretty good, or at least no worse than others anyway.

For what it’s worth, Newf, I often fished that depth range in the old Dorman Point when targeting coho or late summer springs off the Fraser and up the beaches of the Sunshine Coast. She had a 3 cylinder Beta, and I always felt my success rate was pretty good, or at least no worse than others anyway.
Thanks for that info. It’s probably been just coincidence for me but with little or no luck at those depths I’ve always wondered about the engine noise.
Thanks to all for the responses.

Is your boat Hot ? grounded properly? if you have hot boat it will effect your hook up rate for sure?
Not sure if the boat is “Hot” or not and wouldn’t have a clue on how to confirm that. The boat is a 21ft Ranger Tug and not really built as a fishing boat but more of a day cruiser. There’s ground wires to the engine and to the rudder etc as to other common blocks that other things are connected to. As mentioned above I seem to have no issues hooking up at around 55ft and deeper when fish are around and other folks are catching. Not really a big deal but more curiosity on my part when others around me report catching fish at 30-40 ft and I can’t. Maybe the buggers are lying to me. 🤥

Not sure if the boat is “Hot” or not and wouldn’t have a clue on how to confirm that. The boat is a 21ft Ranger Tug and not really built as a fishing boat but more of a day cruiser. There’s ground wires to the engine and to the rudder etc as to other common blocks that other things are connected to. As mentioned above I seem to have no issues hooking up at around 55ft and deeper when fish are around and other folks are catching. Not really a big deal but more curiosity on my part when others around me report catching fish at 30-40 ft and I can’t. Maybe the buggers are lying to me. 🤥

do you have to replace your zinks often or normal?

When you hook a fish and get it close to the boat does it suddenly freak out and really start to fight? That’s a sure sign your leaking voltage.

do you have to replace your zinks often or normal?
No don’t think so but I trailer the boat so it’s only in the water on average 5-6hrs a trip and couple times a week. I’m on my 3rd set of rudder and prop zincs in 10 years so don’t think that would be considered often. My first boat so I have had nothing else to compare too.

When you hook a fish and get it close to the boat does it suddenly freak out and really start to fight? That’s a sure sign your leaking voltage.
Again, I have nothing to compare too since this is my first boat but I would say no more than what I would see when other boats are landing fish.

Ì don't believe boat noise us an issue with salmon.
We fish rivers inlet with all the gear between 12 and 18 feet deep and pretty much directly under the boat. Still get bit.

Thanks. I will do a little research on how to check it.
Easy, using a digital multimeter set to DC volts, secure the neg probe to battery, (may need an extension) Then when all set up in fishing mode with everything running as you would when fishing, attach alligator clip to downrigger WIRE (won't work with braid of course) and check voltage with pos probe. Anything under .06 is good.

Back