Elk Lake Derby

porcupine

Bought my ticket today for the Elk Lake Trout and Bass Derby this coming Saturday. Haven't decided whether to seriously fish in it or just paddle around in the float tube for a few hours enjoying myself. I just got a newer Frod Explorer and don't have the roof racks to carry my canoe on it yet, so it'll probably be the float tube. At least it wil be a chance to enjoy being on the lake without rowers blindly getting in the way. Anyone else going?

I'll be there porcupine - I look forward to winning that boat this year. :D:D

Look for the guy in the porta-bote - I'll be with a buddy in the morning, but will likely have the family out in the afternoon. I'll probably be trolling most of the time, but may get some chironomid action at some point.....

See you there!

Catch and release -- into my frying pan.

I too will be out there. Look for me (by myself with a red ball cap) in a 12ft tinny. Most likely rowing in the morning and anchoring up once it warms up a bit. Supposed to go down to 1 or 2 degrees tonight so there'll be a bit of chill at 6:00 a.m.

BTW, the boats mine this time.[8D]

Actually, a couple that I talked into attending the 1st derby won the boat and trailer that year. She's lucky in draws and contests and stuff. Always winning stuff. I should give her the money and get her to buy my ticket, lol.

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

The4th annual Elk Lake Derby was a big success. There were over 400 tickets sold and anglers all over the lake. The bass anglers found it very slow but the trout anglers had good success. There were lots of newly released catchable rainbos caugh and a large number of 2-3 lb rainbows that were stocked last year. This was in spite of a fairly windy day. Here are the top 4 in each category as given to me.

Trout

1st 6.3 lbs Darren Kitson - winner of $1,000
2nd 5.4 lbs Tom Vaida
3rd 5 lbs Rick Jensen
4th 4 lbs Riley Mace

Bass

1st 5.1 lbs Dave Bissenden - winner of $1,000
2nd 4.4 lbs Logan Lesuire
3rd 4.4 lbs Chad Keogh
4th 4 lbs Kellen

The top 2 trout were caught on black leech patterns.

Here are pictures of me with the two that I kept. The first one is with the fish held out to make them look bigger and the second is with them close to my side. BIG DIFFERANCE! LOL

ElkLakeTroutDerby2010005.jpg

ElkLakeTroutDerby2010007.jpg

Way to go Tom!

After fishing the lake more than a couple times last year I can definitely say that the big fish are appearing in larger numbers again. Really good to see.

wow, some nice fish, and so close to home
havent fished there in so long, hmmm, maybe i should drop a line again

Nice fish Tom, saw your pic being taken at the ramp. The fishing was pretty good out there, but the wind sucked for us guys rowing.

As Tom mentions, black leeches were definately the ticket yesterday. After experimenting with a couple of things early and then trying to anchor and fish bait or chronies, I gave up and threw on a leech and had a great day. Double digit numbers for me but my biggest was only 2.5 lbs not a bad fish, but wish I had of started and stuck with the leech.:D

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

Yep, a nice productive day out there. Was catching them on everything - even stuff that shouldn't work....not even close to 6.3 pounds though. No boat either, but the kiddies got a grab bag, so it was all worth it.

A big thanks to Island Outfitters for hosting it again this year, and to all of the other sponsors! You guys are making a great event, and helping support the freshwater community in Victoria - Cheers!:):):):):)

Catch and release -- into my frying pan.

Back