Electronics

Looking at replacing all my electronics. What’s your opinion on simrad or garmin. Everything from chart plotter,radar and auto pilot.

Both have advantages. Sim rad is great but I actually switched over to Garson after I played with the auto waypoint feature. It is the only one where you don’t need to push multiple waypoints to get from a to b. I use it all the time and love that.

Garmin XSV touch series. I have 2 x 12" and 1 x 9", GMR Fantom 18" Radar, and Airmar HW175 transducer. The wireless is great as I can duplicate any screen on my iPhone or iPad. So at my lower helm I have the one 12" screen and use my iPad mirroring my upper helm screen running depth or radar. There is barely any lag time on it. Itsd pretty cool to see radar running on your iPhone (works on Android too)
The Garmin Active Captain app allows me to access all my charts on the iPhone/iPad remotely and create waypoints and routes from home and then sync back at the boat.

Garmin. Active Captain is awesome. Design all your routes at home on your iPad or phone and blue tooth them when you get on the boat. It’s a game changer.

I use the "remote" option on my lowrance with my tablet. Not just a second visual screen on the tablet but a usable one. I do hate that you can't do auto routes. I always end up running my cell or tablet at the same time while on a new route so I can run navionics with the auto route with the marked hazards. Saved my butt a few times with cable ferries and other less obvious stuff.

Have the Lowrance (Simrad) chart plotter, radar and autopilot. It's pretty good, I have never got my sonar really dialed in just need to get an expert out on my boat.
What's the issue your having with your radar? Feel free to message me. I work with radars in my job.

I like the features of Simrad/Lowrance.

1) Fish reveal - it's great when hunting bottom fish on structure and also when trolling.

2) Link/Remote control by a tablet or phone via wifi. I like to run a 2nd display back by the downriggers so it's easy to see fish and keep track of the bottom when trolling.

Back