Electric brake controller question/help

Pearl dog

Need advice please. 2011 Ram 1500 bought new. Came with tow package including brake controller. Until 3 days ago I'd never pulled anything with electric brakes so didnt know if worked or not. Turns out it doesn't. I've plugged my new to me trailer into 3 seperate trucks of neighbours/buddies. A ford, and 2 different rams. They work, the controller recognizes the trailer immediately. Mine does not recognize the trailer. What i've checked..
-the controller illuminates with a number setting but has a slash line through the trailer image
-the info display also illuminates the trailer control but also shows the slash through the trailer image
-the fuses are good
-the lights on the trailer work
-I cant seem to get any voltage on the relevant pin at the bumper. Both at the plug and inside the bumper at the connector itself
-the controller does not show any type of fault code
-the trailer battery is only showing 5 volts but I've read that doesnt matter and the other trucks didnt care

suggestions? Is the controller itself faulty? it's easy to change out but pricey for OEM. Should i try a "cheap" aftermarket? Is it something else entirely?

Thanks in advance

On my 2012 ram 3500, you can adjust the trailer type in the menu somewhere. There was like four different options for type of trailer/brakes. Maybe you can play with the settings there.

There’s also a relay for the power going to the trailer brakes that you can check/replace/or it’s not even installed

i would bey there is a relay that is not installed, look at the owners manual for the fuse box/relay panel and see if it’s there. Chevy did this on their trucks, might be the same

Thanks. I’ll check again. Truck doesn’t have an owners manual. Just a user manual that’s useless and a dvd that I lost or never had. Anyways googleing it now.
Interweb seems to think the 2011 may be an anomaly lemon year for the break controller. Hard to find reliable info on a 13 year old issue.
Will visit dealer tomorrow but I’m not optimistic about that. Expecting to be told it’s the trailers fault.

edit
so.... it would seem the 2011 is not compatible with electric/hydraulic. Issue was addressed in 2012 and beyond. Aftermarket it shall be

Last edited:
On the Chev 3500 truck I use at work the plug in the box for the 5th wheel trailer wouldn't work, a coworker took it to the dealership and they charged $120 for a plug and just over $200 for a new pig tail wire harness for the truck that we have to install. Pretty sure you want to avoid the dealer, you should be able to find aftermarket wiring that will plug in.

I’ll just finish up this thread for anybody interested. Turns out the 4/7 pin plug receptacle in my bumper was the culprit. Even tho the lights worked the pin for the brakes didn’t I guess. I swapped my wife’s from her 4Runner and my factory controller lit right up. I learned that those bumper plug receptacle things are super easy to remove, swap and install. And who knew ram and Toyota would be same same??

Back