Electric boat motor

rockdog

I have a 12 foot aluminum boat. For those that know, would a 40lb thrust electric motor push that ok in the lakes?
Thanks

40lbs would be great for a 12fter. I run a 40lbs on my 10ft jon, but its sort of overkill.

kunni

Minn Kota C2. I read the specs, and it does say the speeds are fixed. So this would have poor battery life then?

Try to get one with true variable speed if you can find one.

I have an old Motorguide 30 lb. It has a slider switch on it for speed control, I can vary the speed to whatever I want. It's perfect for trolling as I don't have to pick one of the five set speeds.

It pushes my 12 foot tinny around perfectly.

I have an older fixed speed model and it almost trolls a little boat too fast. I didn't even know they had variable speed models that's what you want for sure. The remote steering and GPS controls would be slick too.

A power source will recharge your battery if your on a multiple day trip without power.

I use a 12v deep cycle is a pair of 6's better? Why?

Hi Rockdog,

I have a 14' Naden Boat I don't use anymore and used this Minn Kota 50T Maxxum with it. Variable speed and very energy efficient.
Bought it at Costco 3 or 4 years ago.
Come up with a fair price. I give you your money back if you don't like it.

Minn.jpg

I have just bought a minn kota endura max 40lbs. i absolutely love it, I bought mine in america, so i got a pretty decent deal. The variable speed is awsome, and the digital maximizer is also fantastic. I can go for about twice the time with the maximizer, not the 5 times longer they claim. All in all you probably cant go wrong with any electric motor, some just have extra features, but the ones with the extras are a little pricier.

kunni

I have just bought a minn kota endura max 40lbs. i absolutely love it, I bought mine in america, so i got a pretty decent deal. The variable speed is awsome, and the digital maximizer is also fantastic. I can go for about twice the time with the maximizer, not the 5 times longer they claim. All in all you probably cant go wrong with any electric motor, some just have extra features, but the ones with the extras are a little pricier.

kunni

Are you sure the Endura is variable speed? Don't think they are my friend.

Go with Minn Kota I bought mine a year ago the only work I've done Is take off the prop and take out all the fishing line that got wrapped in it

Back