Echip and breakaway flasher

the butcher

There's a company called protroll who produces flashers with a echip. Supposedly the echip emits a small electrical current as the flasher moves. They claim The electrical current is similar to what bait fish emits and thus it supposedly attracts predatory fish such as salmon. Anyone have good success or find it to be no different than a normal flasher?

Same company also produces a breakaway flasher. Anyone have good/bad experiences with breakaway flashers?

Personally I would never fish them. Run a dummy flasher if you want to fight a fish flasher free, or better yet a whole herring or cut plug. Just my 0.2c

As for the e chip stuff, it’s all marketing. I’m gonna continue to catch fish the way I catch fish. It’s one gimmick after another these days. Trolling the right speed at the right depth with the right presentation in the right areas is far more important in my opinion.

I have been using the Farr Better Flashers in the later half of this season mostly because I know the guy. It's an interesting setup and to be honest I couldn't really tell much of a difference but it was on the line for some nice springs. I can't speak at all to the e chip stuff and that just feels like a bit too much tech, for me anyway.

I figure as much. Just another company trying to sell you something new and making promises which don't exist.

Leaving electricity aside those E Chips have a tendency to fall off PDQ after the gear is deployed-Pro Troll produces some seriously cheapo gear.

Agree with above as to the poor quality and falling off too easy. I am not convinced that IF they actually do produce an electric current/field that it is strong enough to actually attract fish. Have used them and have not noticed that they catch anymore fish. Inclined to think it is more of a gimmick, than anything else.

Back