DSC RADIO CALLand GPS

flytyer

hey all, so here is a few part question. How do you know if you have the wiring on your dsc radio and your gps unit hooked up right. I have a visual icon on my radio that says there is communication, but--- is there a test that you can do to find out. And no i wont hold the red button in for 5 seconds haha. If i give you my mmsi number could i get someone to test for me. i am in the pitt meadows area so all you serious salmon slayers out in sooke wont be able to help with the test.

These electronics are new to me and baby steps please
[8D]

You cannot test the Distress Feature, however you can make a DSC call from one specific MMSI to another if you know the number.

What i am looking for is for either someone to email me there number or i can mail mine so that i can test this

[8D]

Fly:

Call your nearest coast station (Victoria, Vancouver, Comox, Tofino or Prince Rupert Coast Guard radio) and ask them to poll your vessel for position. You will need to have your MMSI number on hand and your DSC radio and GPS on. Compare the position they get with your location. Do this on an evening or quiet weekday - they should be able to help you.

We like test them in the parking lot by both sending a position request and answering a position request. Get your buddies to install so you can hunt the open water together then "quitely" call each other into the bite.

Very nice feature. Especially when your plotter shows heading and distance to their position. Too nice of feature not to replace your VHF and then there's the safety angle of DSC.

Thanks guys. I dont have any friends that have a boat.so thats why i was putting it out to you for the help
[8D]

Back