Draining a gas tank

Maxpri

Hey all, there is some old gas in the tanks of my new to me Monaro and I need to get it out... Has anyone ever done this and anyone have any tips? Thanks.

Hey Max, Rule number one is dont use a shop vac. I had some success grabbing a a siphoning pump from princess auto and removing the fuel senders to gain access into the tank.

I don’t know if there’s a standard procedure or not but I unhooked at the filter, added enough line to poke it out the transom drain hole and siphoned it into jugs.

I don’t know if there’s a standard procedure or not but I unhooked at the filter, added enough line to poke it out the transom drain hole and siphoned it into jugs.
I have done this as well, but I added a bit more hose and a primer bulb to get it going. Worked very well.

Hey Max, Rule number one is dont use a shop vac. I had some success grabbing a a siphoning pump from princess auto and removing the fuel senders to gain access into the tank.
I have done this as well, but I added a bit more hose and a primer bulb to get it going. Worked very well.
Thanks for all the tips!

This is an excellent way to empty the fuel tank, If you are able to quickly remove the primer bulb after starting the siphon, you wont let it act as a filter and perhaps get debris stuck in the one way valves. If you are able to lower the stern of the boat so all the fuel is at the back of the tank, you should be able to get almost all of the fuel and water out, especially if you can attach the hose to a piece of bendable meatal pipe (copper) that can get to the lowest part of the tank

Back