Downrigger wire

otter

I am ready to upgrade/renew my Downriggers wire line,overdue.
Previous posts suggest a heavier guage,commercial line?
I will let you guys make the call.
My downriggers are Scotty electrics,10-12lb balls,area fished-Sooke.
Thanks

B Gibb

i have always use the Scotty wire which seems to be decent
quality and if you use proper swivels , lasts a long time.

i have seen a braided line similar to tuffline, which some guys
are using....
advantages are no frays, thinner diameter, just as strong.

the guides will probably advise best on this topic.

scotty

I have a large spool of heavier wire. I tried it once, it worked great, but because of it's size it threw off the depth counter. I just use the regular wire now. There is another product out there other than Scotty wire that is cheaper and seems to last longer. JMO

Otter, You will do just fine with the regualar scotty wire if you use a good sampo swivel on your terminal clips. I use the heavier commercial stuff and love it. Bit more money, 250lb test, lasts 5 seasons or more if rigged properly and rinsed with fresh! It does not throw your depth counter off, you just need to use more lead for deeper winter fishing beacause of the increase in drag on the thicker diamater wire. There was a good thread on this about a month ago. Spool em' up and hammer on em' springs!!!

Thanks for the info,out to get some. Today looks encouraging for the fish reports too, Flat out there. Been reading some Prairie forums,sure glad I live here.

B Gibb

get some of the new 'Dynamee' braided non-metallic line. I just got some a while ago. About twice the price but it won't break from rusting out like my regular wire always did. Now I don't even have to bring the downriggers home to hose them off with fresh water (which doesn't usually work anyhow and the wire rusts).

But you can't use a black box...

I will stay with wire as not had many problems, I do cut off about 5 feet every 2nd or third trip and reconect my ends. I rinse them down and always lube my swivels. Use to have more problems and the odd lost cannonball before I installed weight retrievers which limit the bounce action when bringing in and letting out my cannon balls from the side of the boat. I have 48" non retractable scotty propacks so they stick out a long way. I do run a black box but do not run snubbers just the plastic scotty cannonball hooks and lots of times I bounce bottom for winter springs but have only lost 1 cannonball on the bottom in 4 years. TOUCH WOOD!!! I also change my wire every year when I have my scotties tuned up. So for me, why change whats working well on my boat.

Cheers ME

Happy Hookin!!!

Edited by - MyEscape on 01/10/2006 16:08:44

Thanks for all the input.Took my riggers in to Eagle Eye in Sooke for new WIRE and maintenance. Boat in getting yearly maintenance for new season. June fishery in Sooke seems a long time away. Winter fishing is ok though.

B Gibb

Back