Downeast Hulls -

Finished Business

A boat that really catches my eye, due to its large area for fishing, and simple cuddy cabin, is the downeast style lobster boats. (21-24' range).

Has anyone had experience with this style of hull?

Similar to the boat pictured here : http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/212434-sold-25-seaworthy-bhm-maine-downeaster.html

Most I read cruise at 15knots, and can take a pretty rough sea, but I can't find information on how rough. If they can handle the east coast fishery, I don't see why it wouldnt do the same on the West.

Thoughts?

thanks buoys

FB

Also, can someone explain the pros and cons of bottom paint. When searching boats I find some that use "NEVER bottom painted" as a selling point, whereas others use "Brand New bottom paint" as a selling point as well...

Is a boat that has been bottom painted more likely to have been painted because of wear and tear? Where on the other hand one that has never been painted you can plainly see the cleanliness of the original hull...??

Always something I've wondered about, maybe someone has the answer...

Thanks

There are builders that will do the hull and power train, usually 5,9 cummins and you can complete the rest. I looked at that a few years back. Check for boat builders down east you should find some links.

Also, can someone explain the pros and cons of bottom paint. When searching boats I find some that use "NEVER bottom painted" as a selling point, whereas others use "Brand New bottom paint" as a selling point as well...

Is a boat that has been bottom painted more likely to have been painted because of wear and tear? Where on the other hand one that has never been painted you can plainly see the cleanliness of the original hull...??

Always something I've wondered about, maybe someone has the answer...

Thanks

If a boat has never been painted, it's unlikey that it's been moored long-term (likely trailered and launched).
If it's been moored, there's less chance of the motor(s) being flushed after every use.

F D

So a boat with a painted hull could be a sign that this boat has been sitting in water for many years? Makes sense to me, why paint something unless its in need of repair? Good point Fisher Down...sounds like a smart move to stay away from a painted hull boat.

Gunsmith...its the used market for me... Can't afford new and would much rather have someone else suck up the depreciation! Suuuure would be nice to go that route though! The only way to get what you TRULY want, is to have it built to your specs...no doubt about it.

Really fond of these style of boats....Clean, no BS, a fishing machine.

They really mak a great fishing platform and they are very steady. I have been on a few of them and really liked them. The only issue was I had to go the trailor queen route.
On the other question I had the bottom of my boat painted when it was built as I planned on trailoring it with the possible mooring in the future.

to clarify...are we referring to gel-coating in regards to bottom painting a hull? Or is there some other hull paint that can be applied directly on top of fiberglass?

when you say the your only issue was going the 'trailer queen' route lol...not sure how that pertains to the downeast boats?? To big to trailer? was a little confused as to what you meant...

FB

Bottom paint, also referred to as anti fouling paint is applied to inhibit the growth of marine life on the hull. An unpainted bottom will have growth very quickly if left moored. Just because a hull is painted is no reason to discount it as a quality vessel. My opinion only of course.

Sent from my HTC

to clarify...are we referring to gel-coating in regards to bottom painting a hull? Or is there some other hull paint that can be applied directly on top of fiberglass?

Gelcoat is the finished fiberglass surface, bottom paint is applied directly to the gelcoat surface
and stops the aquatic growth when the boat is left in the water for periods of time.

ahh my something new for the day, thanks RS and BIF.

This boat handles 3-5' chop with no pounding
I wonder about different conditions on the Pacific-I cycle by one of these down on Granville Island all the time I'm sure it would be fine on the Inside but I've caught Springs from a duck punt too.

Great working class hulls. IF they could do at least 20kt you would see them out here.

cheech, I'll have to jump back on the boat websites (damn!) but I could have swore there are boats that match 20kt quite easily. This could be a cross between the true downeast hull and a more sporty style, but I will have to do some digging.

http://www.easternboats.com/prod-desc.php?pageid=3&boatid=3

Drool...their other rigs are pretty deadly! But a 22' with a 130 is what they recommend...I imagine that will put you over 15kt for sure...My guess is it would top out around 25-27....i requested a bit of info, maybe it will go into further detail.

Nice boats though.

Those are really nice. The ones I was looking at were the commercial versions, bigger and wider.

A friend of mine has a 23 foot "east coast lobster style boat". He built a cabin on it and now has it powered with twin Yamaha 50 hp high thrust motors. The boat cruises at 15 mph but it is not very good on fuel, even going that slow (it's design doesn't allow for much more hull speed). The boat is not suitable where you need to go distances, both because of low speed and the poor fuel economy. The boat performs o.k. in moderate seas.

...Rob

Parker boats remind me of these...style anyway..

All nice boats, but the only thing I don't care for is the low sides or freeboard they have. nothing that a side rail couldn't fix.

Got a brochure from Eastern boats, some surprising specs!

ex. 24' Explorer (small cuddy)

8'6 beam, 15" draft, 24" freeboard, 3500lbs, 90 gallon fuel tank
Recommended Power: 150HP Yamaha

Fuel INFO based on 90% fuel capacity with average sea conditions, powered by 150HP YAMI:

Optimum Performance 4000RPM - 25.9MPH - 6.1GPH - 4.2MPG - Range= 342 miles
Peak Performance 5500RPM - 36.8MPG - 13.3GPH - 2.8MPG - Range= 227 miles

VERY impressed with these specs. The ALU I fish, 22NRiver, gets at best 3.5MPG w/ the 250hp. Yes it moves pretty quick, kind of like a muscle car! But cruising at 26mph at 4.2mpg, in 24' of length doesn't sound half bad!

Curious as to what the cost on the bare hull is...

Digital Brouchure - http://tinyurl.com/Eastern2012

Last edited by a moderator:
Back