Double Eagle 22' Cabin Cruiser Offshore: Yes? No?

if it was in good mechanical repair, no problem. Double eagles and hourston boats are built for bc waters, in my opinion they are some of the best designed hulls, great lines and smooth rides.

Both can be good boats, toss up without more specifics I guess, if they were both 2000 models double eagle hands down for me, but thats me, if its a 1980 double eagle and a 2000 trophy, I would look at the trophy as less chance of rot in the hulls. Have a look at some used monaro's, on vancouver craigslist they are great boats.

Do you plan on weekending on the boat with more than 2 people? Do you want a walk around or a cabin boat.

The 25 will ride better but the double eagle is a more heavy duty boat. We're talking a ford vs a Kia kind of thing Kia are a great bang for the buck and work well. The resale of the Kia is lower and it will not stand up as well over time. But there nothing wrong with them there just more of a entry level but you do get a lot of boat for the money. If I was you I would go with what ever one has a hardtop and good power.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

Double Eagle or Bayliner ?

IMG_5316trophysunk.jpg

I moved from a 20' Double Eagle to a 22' Double Eagle. We totally gutted it and replaced the transom, floors now in the process of redoing the motor. Been out of action for almost a year started last december. Hopefully doing trials early in the New Year. Interested to see the difference in Handling etc. Also put in a new fuel tank so need to figure out the range if i go offshore.

Big factor for the decision would be engine type and leg type -- those are your biggest cost/performance items by far. If one engine was an MPI vs. a carb'd engine -- go MPI for sure -- better fuel economy, better power, better starting. Closed cooling is your choice over raw water cooling (don't even consider raw water cooled). Low hours isn't always the best choice either -- something that has good strong compression in each cylinder and a documented record of maintenance.

Really like the Bravo III legs, but be careful of older ones as they had a corrosion problem early on 1999-2004ish.

Any details behind what's powering and driving the two hulls?

I see there is a 22' DE in Nanaimo for sale not sure if that's the one you're looking at but.... Downsides on that boat -- engine/leg vintage, and the 55 Gal fuel tank. With that engine you're going to get roughly 1.5 MPG which is going to give you a white-knuckle range of about 75 miles. That boat wouldn't be able to make it off-shore for fishing period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's a boaters worst nightmare heading down to the dock to see that. I always thought with the self bailing decks that Trophy's had positive flotation so they would only go down so far and sit upright but by the looks of this photo if it wasn't for the dock looks like she would have hit the bottom. Tough Luck, what was the culprit?

Wow that's a boaters worst nightmare heading down to the dock to see that. I always thought with the self bailing decks that Trophy's had positive flotation so they would only go down so far and sit upright but by the looks of this photo if it wasn't for the dock looks like she would have hit the bottom. Tough Luck, what was the culprit?

my guess as i have seen it before on trophy boats,,,, the scuppers have a plastic tube which can leak into the boat,, or a failed plastic through hull fitting.

Not 100% sure as I secured her only that morning ( and made a phone call) as it wasn't my boat .....I was on my way out on my 'floating' Double Eagle ( I had then) lol ....
I heard the scuppers failed and with the light weight hull of a trophy it had too much weight at the stern with big motor, kicker, batteries, 3 down riggers, probably water logged transom etc.) which put scuppers and floor of boat dangerously below water line. Water came back through scuppers and she sank. Once floor gets below waterline water will often come through scuppers and she just keeps going ......and going. I added mooring lines to keep her up as high as possible. They managed to get gunnel high enough and then pumped her out and plugged up scuppers before the haul out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have run a 20' Double Eagle from Port Renfrew out to Swiftsure Banks on one of the two tanks that it had in it many times. Fuel consumption varied with the weather conditions but there was never an issue of having enough gas to get out and come back with plenty to spare. Are you refering to tuna fishing when you say offshore?

Back