Double Eagle 190 project

Themaid2

Hey guys,

I’m new to the forum and figured I would start a small build thread to keep track and get some advice along the way. I’ve picked up a 1989 Double eagle 185 I/O for a pod project. as far as I can tell without pulling anything apart the boat is in great structural shape, I’m moving up from a 17’6 Hourston I put together last winter. The plan overall will consist of a pod, 150-200hp main( any input on 150hp on this setup? Enough power?) re wire of the entire boat and new electronics. Here’s a couple bad photos of the new boat and one of what I’m currently running(which will be up for sale soon)

Attachments

• FAD4582E-AFDF-4DFF-9A30-708B072D9F64.jpeg
    FAD4582E-AFDF-4DFF-9A30-708B072D9F64.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 312
  • DFF38ECE-FE2E-4806-96C5-D11C5D19A216.jpeg
    DFF38ECE-FE2E-4806-96C5-D11C5D19A216.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 315
  • 7A774A3F-44EF-4707-A58D-4B4D4E144535.jpeg
    7A774A3F-44EF-4707-A58D-4B4D4E144535.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 310
  • 02D59117-B9BB-4349-B278-166EE56DDA66.jpeg
    02D59117-B9BB-4349-B278-166EE56DDA66.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 327
Hey guys,

I’m new to the forum and figured I would start a small build thread to keep track and get some advice along the way. I’ve picked up a 1989 Double eagle 185 I/O for a pod project. as far as I can tell without pulling anything apart the boat is in great structural shape, I’m moving up from a 17’6 Hourston I put together last winter. The plan overall will consist of a pod, 150-200hp main( any input on 150hp on this setup? Enough power?) re wire of the entire boat and new electronics. Here’s a couple bad photos of the new boat and one of what I’m currently running(which will be up for sale soon)
200 all the way, you won’t regret it

200 hp is crazy overkill in my opinion in 18ft boat. I podded my malibu 185 with a 150hp. Way more enough power.

If you do get one go with a longer leg...

Word of advice get someone good to do your pod.

I used Larry from DSS welding on Van Isle and recommend him...

Last edited:
200hp all day. 150 is enough but if you boat camp you’ll be happy you went 200 the extra weight adds up quick.

25” shaft is enough powerhead will be high enough out of the water.

Where are you located for pod build?

Why not put a 350hp on it LOL.;) Anyways good luck with it. My only tip is watch with your spending. Pod projects add up a lot, and it's a bit different when your done.;););)

200 hp is crazy overkill in my opinion in 18ft boat. I podded my malibu 185 with a 150hp. Way more enough power.

If you do get one go with a longer leg...

Word of advice get someone good to do your pod.

I used Larry from DSS welding on Van Isle and recommend him...
Yes I’ve been shopping around talking to different shops. One option I was thinking was
200hp all day. 150 is enough but if you boat camp you’ll be happy you went 200 the extra weight adds up quick.

25” shaft is enough powerhead will be high enough out of the water.

Where are you located for pod build?
I'm located in Qualicum beach area. I have been chatting with E & D as I've seen the same boat done by them and looked awesome! We do a lot of weekend trips etc so I am leaning towards the 200.

And yes I will 100% be going with a 25" transom

The 150 HP is more than enough,but if their the same weight (the 200 -4 cyl.) and you feel like spending more,go for it.I had a 2006 -185 DE and even the 150 Yamaha was heavy for it A pod with floatation is a different deal though.

Took my 18 to rivers inlet this year, from Vancouver to desolation and back(90mi each way), many trips up to texada/secret cove and jervis inlet. The 150 is enough yes but when you load up to go away weight adds up quickly. You won’t regret the extra power on those trips and might even save a little fuel on a normal day since you can turn a larger prop at a lower rpm to get the same cruising speeds. Full depth pod designed properly will support a 4s main and kicker no problem. If you plan to do multi day trips you won’t regret adding as much fuel capacity as possible either being a slave to the gas docks is not great I end up carrying an additional 50L in jerry cans on the swim grid on the longer trips.

Took my 18 to rivers inlet this year, from Vancouver to desolation and back(90mi each way), many trips up to texada/secret cove and jervis inlet. The 150 is enough yes but when you load up to go away weight adds up quickly. You won’t regret the extra power on those trips and might even save a little fuel on a normal day since you can turn a larger prop at a lower rpm to get the same cruising speeds. Full depth pod designed properly will support a 4s main and kicker no problem. If you plan to do multi day trips you won’t regret adding as much fuel capacity as possible either being a slave to the gas docks is not great I end up carrying an additional 50L in jerry cans on the swim grid on the longer trips.
That would be a wicked trip running to Rivers. From Hardy?

Does your brand of choice make a 175? Or is that not worth the effort?
I’ll be going with yamaha for power, they do make a 175 but it is a bit of a unicorn. Dealers don’t seem to carry many as it is the same weight as the 150 and 200. I’m on the hunt for something newer used to keep costs down but that is a tricky find sometimes.

Hey guys,

I would look at the mercury 150 four-stroke. I have a 200 on my Hourston 20 and when loaded for a fishing trip for the west coast, I am guessing an extra 1000 pounds weight it goes just as good as unloaded. Might lose a couple mph but the ride is great. We pack lots, 2 large coolers of ice-200 pounds each, bbq, food, beer, water....Waterline is usually 2" down.

Pretty sure you've got the 20'-6" model there, not the 185 model.
I thought the same when I originally looked at the boat. It was posted as a 185 and when I put a tape on it it measures 18.5,
Its a little different than the others I have seen with the larger windows up front and higher Cuddy

I thought the same when I originally looked at the boat. It was posted as a 185 and when I put a tape on it it measures 18.5,
Its a little different than the others I have seen with the larger windows up front and higher Cuddy
I think the one you have is 18.7 with a 7.9beam. Do not think they make any more. Some guys get this boat mixed up with the 185 18.3 7,5 beam.

Back