Dollys in Lakes?

Fisher_dude

Crew Member
Well, im headed out this weekend to try my luck at catching a dolly in a lake. Ive only ever fished them in rivers so i dont even know where to start in a lake. Throw me some pointers if you have any.

Thanks
Matt

My wife and i do quite well for dollies in Lake Quinalt on the Olympic penninsula, in WA. state, we haven't had a weekend this year that we fished where we haven't caught dollies between 3 an 5+ lbs.(or 2 or 3 kilos, is that right?lol)We use gibbs spoons,(hard to get here) the #35 Coho spoon in Blue Illusion pattern has been deadly, although the green illusion has caught the biggist fish. Trolled flatline earlier in the season but as water warms up we switch to downrigger, anywhere fromn 25 to 40 feet(or 8 to 12 meters or so), 75 to 100 feet back(20 to 30 meters approx.) with flourocarbon leaders. It"s one of the only places in WA. where you can keep Dollies as it's a tribal controlled lake and these suckers just gorge on salmon fry up to 6 or 8 inches!Looking forward to trying them for Silvers in the Fall, good luck! bob r

I've had good luck fishing for them using saltwater gear. Use riggers and flashers and hoochies. You can use the 8 inch size flashers or full size if fishing deep near bottom. Maybe not that sporting, but it sure works in big lakes like Kooteney. Use a green flasher and an MP15 hoochie. Or use a minnow colored hoochie or large minnow imitation fly behind the flasher. Another Saltwater lure that has worked really well for me was a jointed Tomic 158 plug. Run it five feet up from the other line with a flasher and hoochie just off bottom. That is a deadly combination, if the flasher and hoochie doesn't get hit it attracts the fish to the plug. Only problem is its hard to find the jointed Tomic plugs these days. I've caught all sorts of different fish with those plugs. They even worked well casting for monster pike and walleyes in Alberta & the N.W.Teritories.

I've had good luck fishing for them using saltwater gear. Use riggers and flashers and hoochies. You can use the 8 inch size flashers or full size if fishing deep near bottom. Maybe not that sporting, but it sure works in big lakes like Kooteney. Use a green flasher and an MP15 hoochie. Or use a minnow colored hoochie or large minnow imitation fly behind the flasher. Another Saltwater lure that has worked really well for me was a jointed Tomic 158 plug. Run it five feet up from the other line with a flasher and hoochie just off bottom. That is a deadly combination, if the flasher and hoochie doesn't get hit it attracts the fish to the plug. Only problem is its hard to find the jointed Tomic plugs these days. I've caught all sorts of different fish with those plugs. They even worked well casting for monster pike and walleyes in Alberta & the N.W.Teritories.

Try Arrow or Kootenay Lake. Troll deep 40 to 60 feet using a purple Apex and a dummy flasher off the Downrigger ball. Their flesh is so pink from eating Kokanee that they almost taste like a sockeye.

The Ross Swimmertail is also another good plastic spoon that imitates forage fish for large freshwater species. BGM is right those Kootenay lake dollies are very pink and very good eating. I only kept one to eat (the rest were released), but it sure was good.

hellow fisher dude. trout lake arrow lakes lyman plugs surface for rainbows 30 to 60 feet for dollys. fished both these lakes for many years never came home without fish. also did very well on ok lake with lymans. cant wait to here how you make out. we use to have our best luck in the fall made for a great hunting fishing trip. 5 spike.

They like the small apex lures also..

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

Back