Do they really know?

KoneZone

I often wonder if people can see how good things are, while they are. I used to fish at least 50 days a year and then things changed. Now if I get out 12 times I feel like I hit the Lotto. I read how people go after Prawns or Salmon and often wonder if they truly realize how good they have it. [?]

If you're talking about better days well...

I just moved here from... NEW YORK BLAH!!!

So man can I appreciate the outdoors and the fact that I can get up to a beautiful mountain view and drive (without being honked at or given the finger once) to a beautiful clean fishing hole and bring home a salmon for dinner.

When I lived in new york, I used to have to 'clean' my spot on the beach for surf fishing. I would move old tires, hats, beer bottles etc. away from me. I would throw all of it into a garbage if I could but, there were no garbages. None standing at least.

I used to have to check how much fish I ate a month because of mercury poisoning, and the days that I caught crab that didnt smell of fesces...im not joking, I was happy.

Beaches and piers were so busy at times that people would cast over your shoulder... I know people here talk about people fishing too close on the frasier or 'the gong show' but seriously, have you ever had another fisherman so close you can smell his breath? I have and it isnt pleasant.

Its hard to see sometimes how good we've got it, anywhere we are, if we stay for too long. I know that this place, BC, has really put a spell on me. I moved here in March and it took about 2 months before I was saying...Geez, I want to retire here...Im 28:). Thats how much I love this place.

So to answer your question, YES!! Some, like myself, do. And I will fully appreciate for as long as Im here. If ever I get a little complacent (sp.) Ill think of fishing next to someones tire on a beach in brooklyn...geez. It saddens me to remember.

Your post reminds me...I have NEVER had prawns fresh out of the ocean...
Next on my 'to do' list.

ashtonspoutine, you made my day! You hit it out of the park Pal. I went shrimping in Puget Sound once, "man that was great". Good luck and welcome to the West. I read some of the posts and it seems like a dream land to the North in BC Eh. Thanks for the response. :)

good points, but try Peg Leg or Scale bars during Sockeye runs (Fraser survival fishing)! How about hooks in your legs, fights, and stabbings! Would probably make you think that you were back in New York! Yes we are very lucky to have what we have but if all you guys move out from the east then what?? Just joking!

Well i didnt want to get into the real negatives, and I still dont. I think the thread starter wanted to discuss the positives. Nothing more.

I know exactly how excellent it is. I am so excited about dropping my hootchie off Point Grey 40 hours from now you wouldn't believe it.

There is nothing like calm water, warm air, big runs of fish coming in, and a couple electric downriggers waiting to do the dirty work.

I got out at least forty times since june. I love fishing on the chuck everyday. Gonna be tough goin back to school and waitin till next may to fish

quote:Originally posted by kelly

I got out at least forty times since june. I love fishing on the chuck everyday. Gonna be tough goin back to school and waitin till next may to fish

Just wait until you get a job, get a bit older and all the responsibilities to go with it...and if you get out 40 times in a summer, you're probably doing nothing else....

No kidding FM. In the days before kids, I got out at least 30-40 times a year (mostly fresh water with half a dozen salt water days mixed in). Now with three kids, a house and a business to run, I'm lucky if I get 10. Only had two since last September and both in the last couple of weeks. Ah, the good ol days. Not that I'm complaining, but I sure can't wait til the kids are old enough to take fishing, then I can tell the missus "I'm taking the kids fishing", and she can't say a thing about it.

FM i got one all be it not full time. I have to pay for it all and as everyone on the board knows fishing is danm expensive.Most of those trips are not 12 hours on the water.I ushually walk to the marina and fish the bite or evening for an hour or two. Im trying to get all the fishing possible in while i still can.

chromechaser i here ya last few years not much fishing , but geting better this year . mite go thurs ( with kids of course )might even get a spring this time , past trips were for pinks for them, this time for me .[:p][:p]

chromechaser i here ya last few years not much fishing , but geting better this year . mite go thurs ( with kids of course )might even get a spring this time , past trips were for pinks for them, this time for me .[:p][:p]

my kids have all left, so I feel like I died and went to heaven! Was in Renfrew most of the summer (first time) fished almost everyday! Loved it. Remind me, why do we have kids??

quote:Originally posted by Merrittboy

my kids have all left, so I feel like I died and went to heaven! Was in Renfrew most of the summer (first time) fished almost everyday! Loved it. Remind me, why do we have kids??

Kids are long gone but I'm still working so can't fish all summer yet!:(

Why do we have kids? Because the grandchildren are so much fun....and then they go home.:D

And I'm starting to realize how good we have it here. It's been a long time since I've been boating/fishing so now that we have our new boat we've had some great days on the water. We're even starting to figure out how to catch fish, hallelujah![8D]

I live in Powell River and I try and hit the water as often as possible(average a day a week). I lived all over the globe as a kid and I knew when we moved here how good things were.
You hear some of us complain about the way things were, but we fail to realize as things have changed here so too have they elsewhere.
When you start looking around the world you will always find areas that are great but very few match what we have here.
There is not many places you can go salmon fishing before breakfast, golf or hiking after and maybe a little trout flyfishing in the evening for a wind down or just kick back and watch the sunset.
I have never left, but my brothers and sisters who did complain about the traffic the noise and how far from the ocean they now are and how it is always getting worse.
They talk about the garbage and other things left lying around the parks.
I remember watching 3 or 4 pods of whales that were around all year and now rarely see them travel past once or twice and fishing kelp beds that no longer exist. I timber cruised in my youth and remember trees 12-14 feet in diameter by the thousands.
But I also remember that in PR in 19.4 sq km there are 15000 and where I once lived 18.7 sq km held 882,000 and another at 65 sq km held over 2 million and lining up just to go in the pool.

Anytime you think things are bad here I agree you should read Ashtonpoutine's post again.

Ashton
Welcome to the good country.
I was in NJ last week, and went out to Sandy Hook for a walk. Half a dozen boats and about the same in beach fishermen angling for fluke (summer flounder) off the tip of the Hook, at what I would guess is the entrance to NY harbour. Saw a couple caught but not sure I would eat them (pollution concerns) but the locals were keeping them. Still, pretty impressive that you can still fish in that area. The NYC/Manhattan/Long Island skyline makes an impressive backdrop to be casting to.
Mostly gear chuckers but on the walk out did see one fellow in his neoprene waders with a fly rod heading for the beach. Must have been sweltering in those with the temp and humidity that day.
Guess it doesn't matter where you are, the fisherman inside you will still come out.

Hey guys, yeah, living in NY for 2 years made me realise how beautiful BC is. Im from Montreal originally and even though the city has charm, I feel like this, BC, is the REAL canada.

Anyways, Im in telegraph cove with my 2 bros right now. And for the first time in our lives, we've caught our own prawns and ate them. Straight boiled, no salt, no butter, no lemon...nothing.

Probably the best Ive ever had in my life.

But don't tell others we don't want more people out here!! lol. The only thing New York has that I like are New York Fries and of course, THE YANKEES! Oh yes and I forgot the Islanders.

Life is what you make it.You have to make time to do the things you want to,Blah,Blah,Blah.
Go fish and enjoy it,whether you catch something or not.I'm banking that there's no fishing in Heaven,and in Hell you are the fish.(barbed hooks allowed)

Back