DIY salt ice

Tailwalker

I will not be able to get commercial salt ice this next trip to WCVI since I am traveling on Sunday. I was thinking of just adding rock salt (like for ice cream maker) to regular ice. Any thoughts on ratio of salt to each bag of ice?

I will not be able to get commercial salt ice this next trip to WCVI since I am traveling on Sunday. I was thinking of just adding rock salt (like for ice cream maker) to regular ice. Any thoughts on ratio of salt to each bag of ice?

I'm totally ignorant here but I made salt ice blocks last summer. Just filled milk and juice cartons with warm/hot water kept adding rock salt and shaking it up until it would not dissolve (or very slowly). Put them in my deep freeze at the coldest temp it could get to. It definitely worked for me. Kept some in the containers and broke open others to crush it up. Stayed frozen waaaay longer than regular ice blocks. Probably not as cold as the industrial freezers though.

I'm totally ignorant here but I made salt ice blocks last summer. Just filled milk and juice cartons with warm/hot water kept adding rock salt and shaking it up until it would not dissolve (or very slowly). Put them in my deep freeze at the coldest temp it could get to. It definitely worked for me. Kept some in the containers and broke open others to crush it up. Stayed frozen waaaay longer than regular ice blocks. Probably not as cold as the industrial freezers though.

You can also buy dry Ice, 10 pound block lasts for 48 hours and costs like 30 bucks and is -72C so keep it in the bag u get it in or use gloves. Expensive, Combined it with Regular Ice that's in sealed containers and everything lasts a super long time. Worth it when your whacking and stacking em and out for a 2 day trip. Praxair is where I get it, Closed on the Weekends, Not sure how long it will last in a freezer

My understanding is that salt ice is most effective in a slurry, and a slurry is effective at cooling down fish because it comes in complete contact with the fish rather than just the pointy edges of ice cubes or even flakes. If the liquid portion of the slurry is salty it will obtain temperatures below zero Celsius and insulate the ice better than if it were zero Celsius. Also, water takes longer to cool than ice (specific heat density or something...) which may be a benefit over just pure ice. I have no idea how much salt to add but I'd try to keep the slurry at least under 30 ppt (~seawater), and probably way less than that. I was just reading up on this for an upcoming trip but I didn't come across any definitive recipe. Hopefully more people chime in.

Like Matsutake said. You are probably better off to make your own ice and bring it with you even if it means travelling with it. A normal chest freezer will bring ice down to ~-20C, way colder than the -3C stuff you buy at most gas stations. The the larger the chunk the better it will stay frozen, but just remember to either break it apart when you use it to cool fish or at least dump in some seawater to create better medium to transfer the heat.

Glad to help.
We get off the ferry and stop in there on our way up the island.
Can get busy at times at the front of the store/ice bin, which means not much room left to turn around with a truck and boat.

False Creek Fishermens Wharf as all sorts of ice and bulk Flake ice by the Large commercial tote or large cooler.

Back