diversion/bear creek resovoire

Karma-Kazi

Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone has ever had any luck fishing these 2 lakes? Im headed there camping in mid march and im thinking of giving it a try. Some methods and stories of success would be appreciated. Never have tried these lakes. Look like they are very deep.

-Steve

I wish I could report something to you other than I went to go in there two weekends ago, gate locked on Butler main. :(

LC which dam bear creek or diversion. and worm and power bait from shore, sounds good. will give it a go. In the moving water did you use the same set up or spinners?

I just chucked out worms/bobber and power bait. If you don't get anything in 15 minutes, change depth/colour/location. East main is the best way to go to the lakes (Fore Bay Road, last right before JOrdan River). I fished at the foot of Diversion dam, in the pool there, but that only works if the water has been low for a while, as it causes the fish to hold in the pool. I didn't see anything in the river between Bear Creek and Diversion, but the way the water was honking a month ago, it would not surprise me if some fish got moved in there, its about the only spawning habitat they have. On the north side of Diversion, the mouth of . You can get an ATV/Dirbike/hike onto Butler Main, and go along the north shore of Bear Creek Res if it's too high to walk the shore, there are plenty of honey holes there. It would also walk across the damn to Tansky Main, and follow that side of Diversion to the mouth of Wye Creek, it may hold some fish there in the clearer water.

Of course, if you chuck a tin boat in, it may prove to be even more effective. I have not caught anything big there, but there are fish.

The trick to fishing "un fishy" waters like Jordan River, I find is to wait for low water and hammer them when they are stuck in the pools. I don't think you can use bait in the River per say, but in the lakes it's fine. A spinner or fly would probably work in the river. And there are few/no fish south of Elliot resiviour, but rumor has it there are some steelhead in the lower JOrdan, within a few K of the ocean. With the mining tailings in the Lower Jordan, I'd stay up near Diversion/Ellitor where you are camping.

Alligator creek is supposed to hold some smaller 'bows in the pools (I've seen but not targetted), and Ranger lake is not that far via Alligator Main if you want to dirtbike it or hike it, I hear it's fishy too, but I have never chucked a line in.

Overall, it's not "hot and heavy" when fishing the Sooke Hills, but the good news is I have never caught any "crap" fish there, like Sunfish or small bass.

There are several creeks along Butler Main, as well as Upper Jordan river, I've never fished them, but the Jordan up Butler/Jordan West main has some really nice looking pools. I've seen fishing line tangled in the trees up there from time to time, so maybe?
It's nice and flat if you want to mountain bike along Butler. Further south, where Alligator Main meets Butler, if you go south on Alligator Main, there is a large washout that almost cuts across the road, where a large creek intersects it. That little creek, from what I have seen has from the road has some pools, but you would have to fish them to find out what is in them. Those creeks do have the nice blue water that we are used to on the Island, not the brown crap that makes up the Jordan.

There are also a few small lakes at the headwaters of Alligator Creek, I'm not sure if they have fish, but if the fish are in the creek, some bigger ones may be in the lakes, but it's a snaggy hike in from what I have seen (I've turned back on my ATV). The roads are still there, but there are a lot of trees.

Hope it helps, I've fished it a few times, but am by no means an expert on those waters.

LC which dam bear creek or diversion. and worm and power bait from shore, sounds good. will give it a go. In the moving water did you use the same set up or spinners?

I just chucked out worms/bobber and power bait. If you don't get anything in 15 minutes, change depth/colour/location. East main is the best way to go to the lakes (Fore Bay Road, last right before JOrdan River). I fished at the foot of Diversion dam, in the pool there, but that only works if the water has been low for a while, as it causes the fish to hold in the pool. I didn't see anything in the river between Bear Creek and Diversion, but the way the water was honking a month ago, it would not surprise me if some fish got moved in there, its about the only spawning habitat they have. On the north side of Diversion, the mouth of . You can get an ATV/Dirbike/hike onto Butler Main, and go along the north shore of Bear Creek Res if it's too high to walk the shore, there are plenty of honey holes there. It would also walk across the damn to Tansky Main, and follow that side of Diversion to the mouth of Wye Creek, it may hold some fish there in the clearer water.

Of course, if you chuck a tin boat in, it may prove to be even more effective. I have not caught anything big there, but there are fish.

The trick to fishing "un fishy" waters like Jordan River, I find is to wait for low water and hammer them when they are stuck in the pools. I don't think you can use bait in the River per say, but in the lakes it's fine. A spinner or fly would probably work in the river. And there are few/no fish south of Elliot resiviour, but rumor has it there are some steelhead in the lower JOrdan, within a few K of the ocean. With the mining tailings in the Lower Jordan, I'd stay up near Diversion/Ellitor where you are camping.

Alligator creek is supposed to hold some smaller 'bows in the pools (I've seen but not targetted), and Ranger lake is not that far via Alligator Main if you want to dirtbike it or hike it, I hear it's fishy too, but I have never chucked a line in.

Overall, it's not "hot and heavy" when fishing the Sooke Hills, but the good news is I have never caught any "crap" fish there, like Sunfish or small bass.

There are several creeks along Butler Main, as well as Upper Jordan river, I've never fished them, but the Jordan up Butler/Jordan West main has some really nice looking pools. I've seen fishing line tangled in the trees up there from time to time, so maybe?
It's nice and flat if you want to mountain bike along Butler. Further south, where Alligator Main meets Butler, if you go south on Alligator Main, there is a large washout that almost cuts across the road, where a large creek intersects it. That little creek, from what I have seen has from the road has some pools, but you would have to fish them to find out what is in them. Those creeks do have the nice blue water that we are used to on the Island, not the brown crap that makes up the Jordan.

There are also a few small lakes at the headwaters of Alligator Creek, I'm not sure if they have fish, but if the fish are in the creek, some bigger ones may be in the lakes, but it's a snaggy hike in from what I have seen (I've turned back on my ATV). The roads are still there, but there are a lot of trees.

Hope it helps, I've fished it a few times, but am by no means an expert on those waters.

"but rumor has it there are some steelhead in the lower JOrdan, within a few K of the ocean."

Hasn't been a steelhead anywhere up the Jordan for probably 40 years or so now.
There used to be a few sea-run cutties at the mouth of it back in the day though and there might still be. I've been away from there since 1987 so.......

Take care

"but rumor has it there are some steelhead in the lower JOrdan, within a few K of the ocean."

There used to be a few sea-run cutties at the mouth of it back in the day though and there might still be. I've been away from there since 1987 so.......

Take care

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

Kildon- If you go in thru jordan river, East Main its much easier to get in. Gates rarely locked.

-Steve

Rodger that.

I'd heard that Butler had been re-opened, I guess they locked it again.

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

Kildon- If you go in thru jordan river, East Main its much easier to get in. Gates rarely locked.

-Steve

Rodger that.

I'd heard that Butler had been re-opened, I guess they locked it again.

quote:Originally posted by Dave H

Take care

I'd never seen one but had someone out fishing with me saying he used to get them at one time. It's far from the first place I would bother trying for them, that's for sure.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by Dave H

Take care

I'd never seen one but had someone out fishing with me saying he used to get them at one time. It's far from the first place I would bother trying for them, that's for sure.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Thanks for the info LC will be great to go in and explore! Looking forward to it. Will reply with how it goes!

TC Steve

Thanks for the info LC will be great to go in and explore! Looking forward to it. Will reply with how it goes!

TC Steve

Back