Disaster averted

Cuba Libre

The Rouge trailer that I have is now almost three years old. Its the first boat trailer that I have had with a Fulton swing-tongue.

A year ago I noticed that the trailer tongue had started to develop a distinct droop right at the coupler. It got more worrisome, inspite of a couple of mechanics telling me not to worry.... It was just wearing and it could wait for a while before new bolts and a bit of welding to build up the face area of the coupler was needed.

Well- finally I stopped listening to that advice-- and just as well I did. This is what had happened to the bolt....

IMGP1554.jpg

metal fatigue!!! One of the two 5 in. class 5 bolts holding the coupler had snapped. The new one in the picture is what it should have looked like!
The other one was a removable pin-- it was also starting to bend! There wasnt much holding the tongue together. Lesson learned now-- this could have had a very bad ending.

Anyone else got a swing tongue trailer?? Better check your bolts.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Good that you went with your instincts. I have often found that if I go by my gut feeling I made the right decision.

If I may add something.
I notice that the old nut is a self locking type, and the new nut does not appear to be. Also one better option would be to replace that with a "Grade 8" bolt, may cost a few bucks but will last forever. And is you really want it strong go with a "Fine" tread.

Safe Motoring.[8D]

Thanks Peppysan... but I was told that a higher class of bolt would be too brittle. [?][?] And yes-- the new nut is a nylok as well. Just doesnt show it upside down :)

But I will take a trip down to the industrial supply place in town and see what they might have. I will also contact the manufacturer for thier opining as well. But one thing is certain in my mind-- this should not have happened ..........[xx(]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Peppyscan X2
An old 4X4 saying is “When in doubt, make it stout!”
CL too brittle is false
What was the grade of the bolt that was about to fail?

Here is my opinion on strength of common bolts that we see.
From weakest to strongest
A bolt with no mark, grade 5 bolt, grade 8 bolt, ARP bolt

If it were my trailer I would use grade 8 nuts, grade 8 washers and grade 8 bolts.
You can add an extra grade 8 nut to act as a lock.(jam nut)
Or you could use Locktite, that would also work fine.
Torque the nut to manufactures specs.

If you don’t have a torque wrench let me know and can lend one.

CL you are right about why this is even an issue.

GLG

Well--- I did talk to the trailer manufacturer. He said that the problem is not common, and I most likely got a bad bolt (no kidding!)

He also said they have looked closely at which grade of bolt to use. The Fulton swing tongues are supplied with a class 5 bolt. The reason is that with the design, its impossible to completely eliminate all flex. Therefore a more brittle bolt has more of a possibility of breaking than a softer bolt. make sense??? Anyway-- I am sticking with the class 5 until I see signs of further wear or bending...

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Back