DFO audit......Heres your chance to speak up

Islandgirl

It's high time the DFO was audited -- its dedicated, hard-working field personnel have been downsized, overworked and hamstrung for years, its management has sucked, and it is not fulfilling its mandate to protect our fish, rivers and oceans. Here is a chance for public input to have a real effect:

"Madame Sheila Fraser, Auditor General of Canada is undertaking an audit of Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Environment Canada's Habitat Management Program effectiveness, success and ability to conserve, project or compensate for loss of viable, productive habitat in Canada.

"Please contact the audit team responsible for Fisheries and Oceans. They would be happy to speak with each of you to ensure broad community input and submissions to inform this process and add to the findings. You may contact either the audit Principal, Mr. Eric Hellsten at (604)666-7600 or the audit Director, Mr. John Sokolowski at (604)666-7608. They are both located in Vancouver at 250-757 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6C 1A1."

Commissioned by:
Sheila Fraser, FCA
Auditor General | Vérificatrice générale
Office of the Auditor General of Canada | Bureau du vérificateur général du Canada
C.D. Howe Building, 240 Sparks Street, West Tower
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0G6

sheila.fraser@oag-bvg.gc.ca

Telephone 613-992-2512
Facsimile 613-957-4023

So if you have a beef with DFO, here's your chance to really make a difference. Internal government auditors have extensive investigative powers -- it's not just economics and finances, they can poke into all sorts of stuff. If enough people come up with enough war stories, Madam Sheila Fraser could well feel justified in expanding her mandate into overall DFO (in)activities, including the huge bugbear of enforcement. In other words, the auditor general could very well come to the conclusion that DFO is not fulfilling its mandate to preserve our "resource."

Support your local DFO community advisors, your thinly stretched DFO enforcement officers, and us dedicated volunteers... And make those DFO head-office bureaucrats and their elected minister in Ottawa sweat. Speak Up!

Howdy,

Happy New Year!

Great post; thanks, very informative.

Red Monster also made a similar post (Salmon Extinction/General Forum.)

As I am in the early stages of trying to organize a Sportfisherman's oppostition to fishfarming group (see: ATTENTION: JOIN THE WAR ON FISHFARMING/Saltwater & General Forum) I will be forwarding an email to the Honorable Minister Fraser in the morning and sharing many of my concerns about DFO complacency and fishfarming.

If we band together, we can do this!

Cheers,
Terry

I talked to a friend of mine today, and he did call them and talk to them for about an hour.
They told him that there has been 5 calls from the Comox Valley regarding the seals and other issues..
Thanks to anyone who has responded!
You are helping secure the future of sport fishing!

Thanks a bunch for this.

Will make the call and harass a few others to do it as well.

Been out for any winters Carolyn???

Nope, Not yet, but I am game to go..boat ready..me..willing and able.
Let me know if you are heading out..will meet you out there!

Back