Dawn / Dusk for steelhead

Tips Up

I have only fished for steelhead in the mornings. Anyone have much success in the late afternoon to dusk?

Thanks,
Tips

Tips Up

there are always fish around all times off the day sometimes fish dont hit in the mornings they seem to hit in the afternoon :)

Time of day doesnt matter but temp does!!!Ever notice how you can be the 15th boat down on the cow and start at 11 and still bang em!!The fish have just started moving as the day warms up even abit.First water means nothing when its this cold!!

quote:Originally posted by Fish-Rite

Time of day doesnt matter but temp does!!!Ever notice how you can be the 15th boat down on the cow and start at 11 and still bang em!!The fish have just started moving as the day warms up even abit.First water means nothing when its this cold!!

I concur!! Water temp is everything. Remember, the fish are cold blooded, so they are the same temp as the water. Ever notice how a summer run in September can hit your gear so hard that it nearly pulls the rod from your hands? I once lost the same fish twice in three casts. I knew it was the same fish because when it smashed my gear the second time,I could see my jensen egg still in the corner of its mouth.Broke me off the second time as well, & not that big a fish either.Maybe 8-9 lbs, but chrome & just full of energy.

Last week I did a dusk til dawn. Got a nice 8 lb hatch last 20 mns of the day. I always figur the last half of the day for exploring and maybe get lucky and find a spot!

Hotrod

Back