Custom tune your truck ?

scott craven

I've read a lot about "custom tunes " for trucks.
seems the computer gets a flash upgrade improving power,performance
and mileage.
Anybody have any experience ?

You can "chip" your diesel motor to allow the computer to produce more power. A buddy had one in his f350, what a HUGE difference it made in power, performance, and fuel costs (not in a good way) :P I think you would be dreaming if your mileage actually got better. Mind you his kit is now over 5 years old so maybe they've gotten better.

He ended up removing it from the truck after the second transmission blew up :P So not only more fuel, but it beats the crap out of the rest of your drivetrain.

I have a programmer on my truck and I love it. That being said I installed alot of aftermarket goodies. I like my programmer as I can set alarms for everything way before I'm close to doing damage and for the protection that is built it. Examples are guages for everything....cold engine protection, turbo timer, firms up shifts and defuels during shifts to prevent slip or back down. I literally have alarms set for everything and the only thing i come close to getting into is the egt's, but that is only when towing up a long grade with torque converter locked up.

Personally I baby my truck and its a hobby of mine to work on it so I enjoy doing it. I do get better fuel economy with my programmer but that being said you have to have the performance levels set for what you are doing, for example using the economy levels for when your on the highway. When some dude in a mustang crawls up your tailpipe then puts 'er to the mat when it turns into two lanes going up the 'hat.......well i would be lying to say I have never cranked it up to "race" to see what he had. But if you keep it real I personally do get better economy, and in tow mode it runs cooler too.

If your truck is pretty new gotta watch the warrantee too craven. I'm sure there has to be some forum/blog somewhere for your rig.

I've also got a programmer for my truck (GM Duramax ) and it has worked very well for me. WAY more power is available and the first few setting even make better fuel economy
BUT!!! YOU have to still be the brains - The programmers can make a motor do things that the rest of the driveline/chassis were never mean to absorb. So before you buy anything, I highly recommend you do some research specif to your vehicle and find out the general opinion of its limits - THEN STAY BELOW THEM!!!
EG - I have 7 power levels, without mods to rest of truck, I have never set the tuner past #4 and only level #2 for towing ( 14,000 lb 5th wheel ) - even then, I watch the gauges faithfully and back off the pedal when I see something getting high ( trans temp, egt, oil temp, coolant )

Generally speaking, the higher tune on a diesel engine, the better fuel economy (with same driving style). My superduty runs at about 600hp and 1200ftlb torque and I run this same setting for everything from towing my 12000lb boat to daily driving. Best economy you can make on the engine. Just need to watch the gauges religiously as she makes enough power to kill itself in a hurry

EG - I have 7 power levels, without mods to rest of truck, I have never set the tuner past #4 and only level #2 for towing ( 14,000 lb 5th wheel ) - even then, I watch the gauges faithfully and back off the pedal when I see something getting high ( trans temp, egt, oil temp, coolant )
Ya those gauges are nice, but for diesel, Exhaust Temp. is the most important.
Have it installed before the turbo. Tow according to exhaust temp. As it rises you need to back off.

If you are running a Duramax, I'd look into EFI Live. Instead of a piggyback tuner, it actually changes the computer rather than bypassing it. Check it out.

Hey Craven.....Are you taking about one for a gas engine....I think I read a post not long ago about you getting a new half ton? As has already been mentioned you get a lot more out of a tuner with a diesel engine. I have a SuperChips tuner that I use for my Dodge Hemi 3/4 ton. I'm not sure you will get too much out of it without a few more mods....IMO. It will allow you to customize a few driving options like city...performance....highway and of course towing. If you upsize your tires you can also use the tuner to recalibrate your speedo to read right. I bought my tuner after first upgrading air intake...exhaust which made the biggest improvement on my truck. It wasn't until I went with larger tires that I bought the tuner mostly for the speedo thing....lol But I played with it a bit and usually just have it in performance mode all the time and just tweaked the shift points a bit for around town. I think you could make it even better but I'm happy with what it does an have never been overly concerned with the fuel bill.......otherwise I wouldn't have a truck or even a boat for that matter.......Cheers!

Generally speaking, the higher tune on a diesel engine, the better fuel economy (with same driving style). My superduty runs at about 600hp and 1200ftlb torque and I run this same setting for everything from towing my 12000lb boat to daily driving. Best economy you can make on the engine. Just need to watch the gauges religiously as she makes enough power to kill itself in a hurry

What RPM do you make those numbers at and what have you done to the drivetrain?

Torque peak is about 2200 rpm. HP is basically flat from there to redline. I run out of fuel at that 600 ish HP mark on the stock pump.

Driveline mods consist of aggressive tranny tuning, suncoast billet converter and custom built full floating traction bars. My tranny is however on its way out in favor of a built elite diesel unit. All that power and big loads through 37" tires will push the stock tranny past it's limits. Outside of that, the sterling 10.25 diff is virtually bulletproof

Back