cowichan run numbers

I happen to work for CHEK TV news and have for 28 years. I have lost count on the number of stories we have done on this issue. It's not too political we don't pick sides and we don't fear reprocussions. There are issues on many vancouver island rivers.

quote:Originally posted by frango

I happen to work for CHEK TV news and have for 28 years. I have lost count on the number of stories we have done on this issue. It's not too political we don't pick sides and we don't fear reprocussions. There are issues on many vancouver island rivers.
Frango, its good to hear that about chek 6. I would love to see pics of this on the 5 oclock news. It just always seemed to me to be avoided. The only people I ever hear complaining are the people on here. If more of the general public saw this I'm sure there would be more screaming.

"Charges unlikely in illegal chum sale, DFO says Cowichan Valley Citizen Wednesday, February 23, 2005 Page: 8 Section: News Byline: Andrea Rondeau Source: The Citizen Some Cowichan Tribes band members remain upset and angry over what they see as inadequate action taken by both officials at the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans and the Tribes chief and council after almost $43,000 worth of chum were sold illegally. "It's a big legal issue. It's not small, and everything's kept under the rug," says band member Kevin Thorne. The fish were caught legally in 2003 through the food fishery and should have gone to the community for use as food fish or for ceremonial purposes. Instead, however, the $42, 800 worth of chum salmon were sold to an export company from China"

I wonder how often this happens and nobody gets cought ? Maybe this is where all the fish have gone ? and what are they doing with 43,000 worth of salmon that they dont need that year ?

quote:and what are they doing with 43,000 worth of salmon that they dont need that year ?

No kidding, their food allowance is obviously way overblown if $43,000 (wholesale value I assume) can go missing. I don't know what sort of poundage that equates to, but its more then a couple of pick ups full of salmon. How about banning that chinese company from doing business in the province?

Yes I agree they should get a food fishery - ONLY if the river can support it and they should also be forced to keep tight records as to where the numbers of fish take and how they are used.

I know the Cow has many more problems then simple overfishing, but the sport guys can't even C&R on the river so that leaves only one group directly taking fish from these runs.

Well goes to show you fisheries isn't dropping enough hay bails down the river[xx(] Everyone knows they net the river. I don't understand that.. You get a 14' spear and your 1' from a fish and you still have to net fish... give me a break .. Fish allowence OK. understandable.. but ONLY if the river can support such a thing. makes me sick in any case[xx(][xx(]:([xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

what also really pisses me off , i know guys that buy fish from the indians for nexted 2 nothing and as many as they want. bull...t

I've heard a few times over the years about those guys that sell salmon out of a van ? up there, and always thought it could have just been rumor.Then last year, an ex coworker of mine told me that him and all his E.ind freinds and family wait until fall to buy all their salmon from these guys that cruise around town selling salmon out of their van!! I don't know if this is legal for them to do or not? but it really wouldn't surprise me.[V]
Then there was this greasy neighbor I had a couple years ago.This guy was 100% white and had a freind from up there.He would brag about visiting his buddy on the res and snagging a cooler full of 30 pounders -in PLAIN SITE of the tribal "conservation officer"!!:(
I really worry about the future of this river if these people are allowed to continue doing whatever the F they want.
Alley Cat you make it sound like these guys are volunteering on their weekends or something..Like Smiley said aren't we paying for all this equipment\programs as well as their paychecks - tax free to boot.[}:)]
[}:)]

quote:Originally posted by frango

Why not step the hell up then???
If you care about this issue, then preach it to your "chek TV crew".
We're talking about extinction!!!
It's time that all walks of life start standing up for our fish...even if it's "food fish".
Let all stocks revive.

LET IT GOOOOO......CATCH IT ANOTHER DAY.

bottom line is until the politians get some treaties signed with the natives were up sh... creek so we have to continue paying them off to keep them quiet

Back