Coho Trip

Birdman

So my girlfriend loves smoked Coho and has given me the green light to plan a day or weekend trip next weekend to target Coho in hopes of filling the smoker.

It's honestly been years since I did any serious fall Coho fishing (used to love Alberni Inlet, or, the Sonora Island areas) as I am usually only focused on hunting by now, and reports on targeted Coho fishing seem to be pretty sparse on here these days.

Where is our best bet to collect some Coho for the smoker?

I'm prepared to go as far north as Chatham Point on the east side, Barkley sound, Renfrew etc. on the lower west coast, but not looking to fish offshore.

Thanks!

Where are you located?
Lots of coho in Sooke. Retention of hatchery only
Renfrew seems to be producing. Can keep 1 wild inside the can. Some closed areas to review.

Bute inlet (Stuart island) has one wild coho retention per day above the log dump. But not many hatcheries. So along way to go for 2 possession limit.

Never actually fished renfrew… is the action generally right in the bay or out in the tide lines?

If possible I like the idea of wild retention to avoid turning over too many fish

Thanks for the replies so far, I’ll see how the next week goes and will report back if we get out for a day or two. Any more updates are of course appreciated!

So my girlfriend loves smoked Coho and has given me the green light to plan a day or weekend trip next weekend to target Coho in hopes of filling the smoker.

It's honestly been years since I did any serious fall Coho fishing (used to love Alberni Inlet, or, the Sonora Island areas) as I am usually only focused on hunting by now, and reports on targeted Coho fishing seem to be pretty sparse on here these days.

I'm prepared to go as far north as Chatham Point on the east side, Barkley sound, Renfrew etc. on the lower west coast, but not looking to fish offshore.

Thanks!
Barkley Sound!! Wild or hatch can be taken, all good inside the Sound. Out towards Bamfield, Whittlestone has been on fire for coho. Chovies and glow white hootchies being your best bet but guys are also jigging them with Madeeps and Lil nibs.
Just saying....

Thanks!
Tofino inside is 2 per day unclipped or clipped

Just back from Barkley - lots of coho at Whittlestone - 2 per day either wild or hatchery. Had a boatload of guys to keep happy. Got 10 in one tide without trying too hard. All on chovies. Went looking for springs over at Swale - Turner...more coho. Some decent quality too.

Thanks for the reports on Barkley sound, if it doesn't rain a significant amount all week that's probably what I'll do for a day trip as I know the area well compared to starting for scratch in Renfrew.

Back