Cleaning a boat

fish stalker

Has anyone cleaned up a old boat? Im cleaning up a double eagle whos cover blew off over the winter. Hasnt been in the water for 2 years. The canvas and boat has maple leaf residue on it. Can I blast them with a pressure washer with out damaging things? It might need a coat of paint or gel coat (well see how it comes up) I dont want to push water into fiberglass causing osmosis (? could a pressure washer do that?). If I wanted to scrub things can I just use simple green and/ or sunlight or something better? I know lots of you have really nice boats but would love some advice. :)

Can I blast them with a pressure washer with out damaging things? If I wanted to scrub things can I just use simple green and/ or sunlight or something better?

Boat:
You could use the pressure washer to rinse it off but not too much force - use a fan nozzle. Otherwise you may start peeling decals and sealant and driving water into places it shouldn't be. Stay clear of the electrical parts. I don't think you could drive water through the gelcoat unless there were cracks or abraded areas.

Then, by hand, I'd start with soapy water, a brush and a sponge - Sunlight's okay. If that's not doing the job, step it up - Starbright Hull Cleaner has worked well for me, with a Magic Eraser for the tougher spots. Fiberglass tub and shower cleaner may be good, but I'ver never tried them. Some folks use vinegar and baking soda - I don't find it too useful. If it's really ugly, I've heard of people using oven cleaner, dilute muriatic acid, etc., but I'd be very careful with those. Use protective clothing, safety glasses, gloves etc. and don't let that stuff stay on too long before rinsing. Fantastic works well on oil stains - do not let it dry. I had some black rubber marks on my hull that came off easily with a little Varsol on a rag. Then soapy water, again. I do know that acid takes off barnacle residue when nothing else will.

After you get it cleaned up you likely want to use buffing and polishing compounds to get some of the shine back - the car stuff works fine. Definitely wax the hull once it's clean, to help keep it that way and make cleaning easier the next time. I clean and wax at least twice a year with synthetic wax.

Canvas:
For Sunbrella type acrylics, I use a soft brush and soapy water, then rinse it well. I have never tried a pressure washer so can't comment on that. You shouldn't put any silicone spray stuff on Sunbrella, or need to.

Eisenglass: The Starbright product works well. The others probably do too. Then soapy water and rinse.

SS: the stainless cleaners all seem to do the job fairly well.

Of course there's no substitute for a few friends helping, elbow grease, tunes and beer. Good luck. :)

Here's some other links on the subject:
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?4045-3m-restorer-wax&highlight=waxing+boat
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...-The-Love-of-Fiberglass&highlight=waxing+boat
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?7492-Wax-Question&highlight=waxing+boat

Last edited by a moderator:
Can tire used to sell fiberglass cleaner with a fine grit in it and it worked great for taking scuff and rub marks out. I swear by GM interior cleaner for upholstery, vinyl etc... And some elbow grease. I'm looking for a good Aluminum cleaner to get rub marks and tarnish off my hull.

Can tire used to sell fiberglass cleaner with a fine grit in it and it worked great for taking scuff and rub marks out. I swear by GM interior cleaner for upholstery, vinyl etc... And some elbow grease. I'm looking for a good Aluminum cleaner to get rub marks and tarnish off my hull.

If it's just the tarnish (oxidation) TSP detergent from a paint or hardware store works well - and it's cheap. It's hard on the skin so rubber gloves are good. i haven't tried but if you could mix it with something to make a thin paste it would be easier to work with on vertical surfaces.

For rust and hard stuff Vim also works great!!!!

Hull cleaning paste

Good stuff Foxsea! I know what Im doing tomorrow! Thanks

No probs - you're doing the hard part!
It amazes me what you can find out just by asking - my wife, of all people! (I asked her if flour would make a paste with TSP - I get the look like "You are a moron. You'd probably mix bleach and ammonia in an aluminum pan" Yeah ... so?:confused:) says craft stores have a thickening agent for bleach (should work fine for TSP, then) that crafty people use for stenciling.

I found this write-up: (I'd substitute TSP here for "bleach" - but then I'm a moron ...:rolleyes:)
Mix up a batch of sodium alginate and water in a blender, once you determine the percentage of water you will need. The sodium alginate, found in hobby and craft stores, does not come into the equation of the percentage of bleach to water. It is only a thickener often used to form pastes. Use 4 to 8 tbsp. of thickener for every 4 cups of water you need to use. So, for a 50 percent bleach to water mixture, you might use 2 cups of water with 2 to 4 tbsp. of thickener, to which you would later add 2 cups of bleach. Slowly add the thickener to the water in a blender.

That paste will make it 'way easier to keep the TSP on the hull sides to do it's magic while you scrub. BTW, don't let it dry. I'm going to try it out for the oily, slimy scunge that builds up at the water-line on my glass boat, after a full summers use. Have a great day - I'm prawning in the sunshine :D.

be careful what you put on plastic windows. Use a mild soap and lots of water then polish them with pledge or plexus for best results. Never use glass cleaners or paper towel on platic or plexiglass windows it will scratch them up. 303 make products for cleaning and retreating sunbrella and it will also re waterproof them and there products are aproved by sunbrella.

And this thread is why I LOVE my tin boat!!!! Quick rinse-- and time for a brew!!!!!

That's fiberglass! lol The thread is about cleaning the tarnish from an aluminum boat. ;)

Soo looks like the floor was redone at some point but there is a soft spot in the floor. I really want to get on the water asap. Does walking on a soft spot push on to the hull? Can I live with it for a season? This boat is a little on the small size and I want to upgrade anyway. Also with the power cables, they were all cut, I thought I could do a splice job but one of them looks pretty beefy. Roughly how much is it to replace those cables? Its a old Merc. Hulls fine but top need paint or gel coat for sure. Industrial Plastics the best place to go for that?

Back