Circle hooks for salmon fishing

• Thread starter Thread starter fah cups
  • Start date Start date
F

fah cups

Checked out DFO site today,seems they may wish to implement circle hooks for salmon fishin {saltwater} in selected areas. By perhaps as early next season. Not sure Iam crazy about this one. Whats your 2-cents.
Cheers FC

Fisheries has NFI about circle hooks they are just desperate to show they are doing something about declining stocks.

My experience in Mexico on baiting Sailfish with circle hooks (live and dead bait both) shows it's just as easy to gut or gill hook with a circle hook as with a J hook.

Sure, I can just toss all my expensive hooks and buy new ones which I can again toss when the regs change to something else. Not to mention the need to retie about 10 dozen lures. No biggie.

I think its time fisheries stopped looking at gear, and started looking at real conservation measures. Like damage to fish bearing streams thru logging practices, the impacts of commercial fishing, and drift nets. As sport fisherman, we will adapt to any gear restriction they throw at us, its our nature to overcome any restriction, and we will. Perhaps in this case all it will take is small circle hooks?
|The issue shouldn't be how many fish we catch,or weather they survive after we catch and release them, it should be about how can we insure that there is enough fish for all, without restrictions. Fisheries is in a race to the bottom, or in this case a race to failure and insignificance. After the fish are gone, we can pay to jig for salmon in a fish farm pen.[:0]

...circle hooks do work on lures when the correct size and style of circle hook is matched to the lure.

For example, I use 6/0 Eagle Claw L2222B hooks on my minnow bodied jigs when angling for stacking sockeye salmon in the Alberni inlet...

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

Circle hooks are strictly for bait they don't work with lures.

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

Correct me if I’m wrong but DFO has had this idea on their website for a few years. I would not worry about it. IMHO sticky sharp is the answer. Touch that point and it’s going to hurt someone. GLG

I tried using circle hooks on squirts when fishing pinks down at Sooke. I had lots of hits but very few hookups. About one in ten fish actually got hooked. I'll never use them again.

Back